UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Aug 2009, 9:50 pm   #41
Sideband
Dekatron

Default Re: EKCO AD65 Disaster !

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidertogrid View Post
What do we think ? will it pass!!
Rich
Blimey I should say so!!

That is looking really good now. I suspect you will be able to get this looking good even fairly close up. Top marks for effort! Lets hope the chassis is not too bad. I look forward to seeing the finished radio.

Rich
Old 8th Aug 2009, 10:41 am   #42
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

Thats looking really good .you have to make sure its totally filled , not easy to see untill you colour it , so inspections need to be over fussy ! . Would the dying have worked if you had added more hardener to themix i wonder ? It wont take colour stain now though i dont think so will need painting unfortunately . I wonder if you could make up a mottled bakalite effect my layering the different colours over each other randomly so to speak ,sortof stypled by brush in places ,brown black and orangyreds , then rubbing down flat before adding a type of varnish over the top when it looks good enough ?
Old 8th Aug 2009, 11:01 am   #43
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

Looking very good.

I have seen a lovely piece of camouflage painting done by dabbing a sponge in acrylic paints (brown Ochre and black IRC) then dabbing it over the damaged area. The paint can go on pretty thick like that too so helps to fill minor digs.
Old 8th Aug 2009, 8:38 pm   #44
slidertogrid
Octode

I have got a bit more done today, the cabinet has had a flick over the repairs with some brown paint and rubbed down, a couple of the cracks are now virtually invisable, but I am struggling a bit with the cracks on the lower front. Each time I rub it down the paint on the repair starts to cut back first leaving the filler showing through, maybe I should have percivered a bit longer with dying the filler! It is getting there though !
The celluloid tuning scale was really buckled and curling up so after some consideration I threw it in a sink of very hot water, slapped it on the worktop and flatterned it with a heavy chopping board! it is now stored under a pile of thick books with a tower of 78s on top, that should teach it ! It can stay there until I am ready to fit it.
The chassis needed a very small amount of work to get it working, Gerry overhauled it 19 years or so ago so all the caps had been changed. I installed the new output valve, resoldered a couple of detatched wires and it worked!
Good old Gerry! His repairs last!
The only problem that remains is that the tuning gang is loose so the cord keeps coming off. The gang is tightly surrounded by other parts under the chassis so I can't see what the problem is with the mounting, another job to come back to!
I will have another go at the cabinet tomorrow, I am determined to make as good a job as possible!
Thanks all for the advice and encoragement its amazing what you can do with a bit of guidance , I really did think the best option was to look for a cabinet (or sell the chassis to someone with a cabinet.)
I have chosen a nice safe place for it on the sideboard when its done, I am not risking it on a shelf!
Rich.
Old 9th Aug 2009, 12:40 pm   #45
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Nice job of the foot,watching with intrest for completion.
David
Old 10th Aug 2009, 7:51 pm   #46
Hunts smoothing bomb
Octode

This is most excellent, a very good job indeed you are making of this, it is a joy to follow

Cheers
Old 10th Aug 2009, 9:01 pm   #47
slidertogrid
Octode

Hi Lee, Thanks!
It is now finished, the conclusion is in "Sucess stories"
Cheers, Rich.
Old 11th Aug 2009, 6:11 am   #48
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

Here is the link to the success story;

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=43955

For the sake of tidiness and ease of archiving we'll close this thread now and put the well deserved congratulations in the new thread.

Regards,