UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Nov 2007, 9:36 am   #1
Alex
Retired Dormant Member

Default Cracked Ekco A22

I have black Ekco A22 with a cracked case.
Is there a professional firm or someone who does this sort of repair work?
Thanks Alex
Old 5th Dec 2007, 7:02 pm   #2
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Cracked Ekco A22

As no one else has answered I will try. I don't think you will find any readily available chemicals that will actually fuse bakelite to itself Alex. I use good old Araldite if it's just a clean crack or where there is a larger crack car filler then stain it afterwards.

Shame you are so far as I'd quite like to have a bash at an A22. Nice set.
Old 14th Dec 2007, 4:54 pm   #3
Robert Darwent
Heptode

Hello Alex

If you haven't done so already, do a search on the forum about 'repairing bakelite'. This subject has been covered many times over and I'm sure you'll find just the information you need.

Personally I use superglue to repair bakelite if the crack is clean and has no chips out of it.

Robert G0UHF
www.wavesintheair.co.uk
Old 14th Dec 2007, 5:40 pm   #4
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

There's one thread here, albeit concerned with a smashed cabinet as opposed to a cracked one. Post #8 of the linked thread is perhaps the most relevant in this instance.
Old 16th Dec 2007, 11:28 am   #5
Alex
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for the replys, i have been away for a few weeks , will now get back on the case.

"Shame you are so far as I'd quite like to have a bash at an A22. Nice set." David my brother-in-law travels the country.
Old 4th Jun 2008, 4:09 pm   #6
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Subsequent OT posts, for this thread, on a wrecked DAC90 cabinet have been moved to a new thread here.
Closed Thread