UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Feb 2005, 12:17 am   #1
geopoi9
Retired Dormant Member

Default Loudspeaker foam replacement.

hi, does anyone know where i can buy a speaker foam replacement kit in the uk? i've got a pair of castle acoustics speakers model:- richmondII... the foam around the edge of the bass drivers has perrished. i've been on the net and can only find suppliers in the usa or australia... postage costs are expensive... any help appreciated.
Old 18th Feb 2005, 1:02 am   #2
Andrew_Keith
Retired Dormant Member

Smile Re: speaker repair

There is a company in Bradford West Yorks, that re-cones loudspeakers of all types, they may well be able to help you. Sorry cant remember the name though. If you try a few hi-fi dealers in Bradford, they may well know of them.

good luck.
Old 18th Feb 2005, 9:46 am   #3
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Default Re: speaker repair

Hi geopoi (?)
Do Wilmslow Audio still exist? They may be able to help, if so.
Old 18th Feb 2005, 10:03 pm   #4
Chris_C
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Phelan
Hi geopoi (?)
Do Wilmslow Audio still exist? They may be able to help, if so.
Try: http://www.wilmslow-audio.co.uk/
Old 23rd Feb 2005, 7:50 pm   #5
stuart_morgan_64
Heptode

Hya,

did you get anywhere with the refoaming kits. CPC used to sell them, but i cant find then in the new catalogue. I have found them in Jaycar, they advertise in EPE. I placed a order with them just before Christmas, the order turned up ok, but had to pay VAT, and a VAT collection charge to the PO of 10 pounds. It wasnt clear this would be the case, esp the collection charge, when i contacted Jaycar, I was told to read the small print.

I have been looking for these kits for ages, let me know if you have any luck.

Stuart
Old 23rd Feb 2005, 8:05 pm   #6
audiomagpie
Heptode

Contact Castle Acoustics, still based in Skipton. They do have a website with contact details (sorry don't have it to hand).
Castle claim that they can provide replacement drive units for anything they've ever made. I had some bass/mid units off them quite recently for an old pair of bookshelf speakers where the surround foam had crumbled. cost was very reasonable too.

BVWS committee chairman
Old 23rd Feb 2005, 10:33 pm   #7
Sideband
Dekatron

Hmm...

I know you asked about UK firms but I used these people in the States

http://www.speakerworks.net/

I can personally recommend them as quick efficient and reliable. I needed to repair a couple of Philips speakers where the foam surround had disintegrated. A quick search on their site produced a suitable kit and I ordered two via credit card and it worked out to about £16 total. The kits were easy to fit and everything was supplied. The result was an extremely professional-looking repair and the speakers performed like new. Two years on, everything is still OK.

Rich.
Closed Thread