UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Mar 2018, 4:49 pm   #1
PaulR
Dekatron

Default Clarke and Smith GP7 motorboating

I started a thread asking for a circuit diagram for this record player a little while ago but none seems to be available. It is the one with the ECC83 and 2 x ECL82.

When I bought the record player I found that several of the electrolytic caps would not re-form so I decided to replace them all. It worked after that but not as well as I expected so I went over the resistors changing those much more than 20% out. After I had done the ones associated with the ECL82s I tried it and it seemed ok although I didn't apply a signal to it. I then went on to do those on the ECC83 and when I had finished it started motoboating when I tried it. I assumed that I must have used a resistor of the wrong value somewhere, hence my request for a circuit diagram. In the absence of this Nickthedentist kindly sent me some photographs of his and comparing those with mine I cannot see anything wrong with my work on it.

Can anyone help with sorting it out? I thought this would be a very straightforward restoration but this has proved not to be the case. I am attaching some photos of Nick's and mine for comparison.

Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nicks Underneath before 2.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	159704   Click image for larger version

Name:	my C&S Underneath.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	159705   Click image for larger version

Name:	my C&S underneath 2.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	159706   Click image for larger version

Name:	My C&A Underneath 3.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	159707   Click image for larger version

Name:	My C&S Underneath 4.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	159708  

Old 22nd Mar 2018, 5:04 pm   #2
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Default Re: Clarke and Smith GP7 motorboating

Check the earth screws on the bus bars, if there is corrosion under the tags it can cause instability.
Old 22nd Mar 2018, 7:19 pm   #3
Silicon
Nonode

Did you test the new components before you soldered them into the circuit?
Old 22nd Mar 2018, 8:01 pm   #4
PaulR
Dekatron

Thank you both

The bus bar is secure and I did test the resistors but not the caps.

However. I found that the loudspeaker impedance selector was set at 15 ohms. Changing it to 3.75 ohms seems to have stopped the motorboating. I do now remember turning it at one point and I must have left it in the wrong position. I haven't tried it with a signal yet but I get a healthy buzz when I touch the input pin.

I wouldn't have thought that it would have made such a difference.
Old 22nd Mar 2018, 8:38 pm   #5
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Is there a feed back circuit from the secondary of the output transformer? Having it set wrong could introduce phase changes or affect the amount of feedback.

It shouldn’t be so sensitive though, well I wouldn’t have thought so.
Old 22nd Mar 2018, 9:23 pm   #6
PaulR
Dekatron

I am not sure about a feedback circuit, but it feels to be something like that.

I have just put it back into its case and played a record. It sounds a lot better for having the resistors changed. They are probably nearer to the correct values than they have ever been. Such a shame I moved that switch! It would be interesting to know whether it has such an effect on anyone else's player.
Old 23rd Mar 2018, 10:46 am   #7
PaulR
Dekatron

I tried it again this morning and the turntable only worked intermittently. I took the cover off the switch to find that the "stator" part of the switch had broken into two - another thing I have never seen before!

Does anyone have a scrap Garrard Autoslim - type switch they can let me have? Just the non-moving contact would be all I need.

Thanks