UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Mar 2012, 4:42 am   #1
Glowing Bits!
Octode

Default Do bakelite cabinets really contain asbestos?

This is a daft question, but, do Bush sets use asbestos in the bakelite, as well as wood dust?
Is it safe to sand bakelite, or is the dust toxic?
It's a little late to ask this now that I've started sanding, however, I never realised (till after the event) that it was toxic!
Is there a need to worry about breathing in some of the dust?
Old 2nd Mar 2012, 6:27 am   #2
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Does bakelite really contain asbestos?

Certainly not a daft question. While the composition of any particular cabinet can only be determined by analysis or knowledge of the particular manufacturing process there is certainly evidence that some bakelite has contained asbestos:

http://www.asbestossurveyingltd.co.u...t_cisterns.htm

http://www.antiquewireless.org/otb/vt0108.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aj_4MDCjHEM

Actually any very fine dust can be hazardous but asbestos particles are especially nasty. If you're going to sand it, do it wet which stops any significant release of particles.

In normal use there is obviously no significant hazard. The asbestos fraction is small, bakelite is not a dusty material and it breaks cleanly, releasing little or no dust.
Old 2nd Mar 2012, 8:33 am   #3
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

Default Re: Does bakelite really contain asbestos?

Hi,
I think so long as you sand it outside, and wear a dustmask of some sort, you should be ok. I stuck T-cut on the last one I did to keep the dust down!

Regards,
Lloyd
Old 2nd Mar 2012, 10:43 am   #4
michael cumming
Retired Dormant Member

There are different types of Asbestos, if it does contain this stuff what type was used. There are three types, white Crysotile used in roof sheets and some floor tiles, the fibres of this still pose a threat but are not as bad as the brown type Amosite asbestos, blue and brown are the worse. Some toilet cisterns contained asbestos but it was bonded in a resin, could bakelite be the same, if so what type does it contain? Brown Amosite was found in pipe lagging and this sheds fibres easy as it's very fine material.

http://www.packagingtoday.com/introbakelite.htm
Old 2nd Mar 2012, 11:23 am   #5
Sideband
Dekatron

Default Re: Do bakelite cabinets really contain asbestos?

Whenever I'm sanding, sawing or filing plastic, wood, bakelite etc. I always wear a dust mask. You can't be too careful with these things!

Rich.
Old 2nd Mar 2012, 11:34 am   #6
mark pirate
Dekatron

When rubbing down bakelite, I always do it with wet & dry paper and cold water. That way there is little chance of any dust getting airborne. I don't think asbestos was widely used in the filler material but better safe than sorry.

Mark
Old 2nd Mar 2012, 2:43 pm   #7
kalee20
Dekatron

I'd be cautious about breathing in any type of dust. I want my lungs to last all my life!
Old 2nd Mar 2012, 3:28 pm   #8
DAVEHALL
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael cumming View Post
Some toilet cisterns contained asbestos but it was bonded in a resin, could bakelite be the same, if so what type does it contain?
We've just had council panic on ours and change it in a hurry. Looked like thick heavy plastic, almost like bakelite, black in colour.
Old 2nd Mar 2012, 5:31 pm   #9
newlite4
Octode

Yes, our cisterns at work are of this type. They are the Dauntless Elite model and supply the urinals, they are regularly tested and labelled by Casella Ltd as are the floor tiles.
Neil
Old 21st Mar 2012, 10:28 pm   #10
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

Homes used to have loads of it, ironing boards, kettle and teapot stands, house full of kids playing with bits of the broken stuff that flew about etc. Maybe it was used as a filler in bakelite and elsewhere just to get rid of some of it once it became public knowledge just how deadly it is?
Old 22nd Mar 2012, 7:21 am   #11
Brandon_R
Retired Dormant Member

I think your only real concern with bakelite and asbestos is in the event someone rubbing down, grinding, or in some manner getting into the under surface and exposing fibres. You'd want to avoid this anyway in restoring.

This is how I polish and restore bakelite radios, knobs, plugs etc.

I use Brasso, or some kind of copper/brass polish. First ever so lightly dampen the bakelite with a damp rag. Then rub the brass polish with a cheap sponge, the kind where on one side there a soft abrasive side. After this, I go back over with a damp rag removing the polish. When it is all removed, I then use an antique furniture polish oil. LIGHTLY. Then wipe off the furniture oil. Let dry. repeat lightly applying furniture oil and wiping off till a high shine is accomplished. It has always worked beautifully for me. Do not over do the furniture oil and wipe off all excess. You don't want an "oily" finish which will attract and catch all dust and finger prints.
Old 19th Apr 2012, 6:46 pm   #12
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

I found something that works really well for bakalite .
After cleaning a cabinet recently that was pretty dull .I rubbed it with burnishing cream which is a bit like brasso , it came up average as they usually do , but i then applied sparingly some car dash shine (Tesco brand) The cabinet came up beautifully and has retained the shine for the couple of months since i did it . It looks almost new!
Old 19th Apr 2012, 7:35 pm   #13
McMurdo
Dekatron

Car dash shine..maybe silicone oil? We used that on a brush for rejuvenating bakelite AVO cases. Car dealers have another name for it..
Old 20th Apr 2012, 6:22 pm   #14
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

I wondered if it contains silicone . I wouldn't advise getting silicone on wooden cabinets , but i cant see a problem with Bakelite. It works really well ,is not sticky and the shine looks natural. Its better than using wax which is what I used to use to finish them off with .

I wondered if it contains silicone. I wouldn't advise getting silicone on wooden cabinets, but I can't see a problem with Bakelite. It works really well, is not sticky and the shine looks natural. It's better than using wax which is what I used to use to finish them off with.
Old 24th Apr 2012, 8:06 pm   #15
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

The finish on Bakelite products was satin not gloss so don't overdo the Brasso and elbow grease. You might end up with a toffee apple..J
Closed Thread