UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 29th May 2008, 3:39 pm   #1
Sideband
Dekatron

Default Anodised plastic restoration.

Has anyone got any ideas/tips for restoring anodised plastic? I don't think this is particularly easy and some sort of 'passable substitute' would have to be acheived. What I have is a Philips AM/FM tuner made in 1968 which I bought second-hand for £15 in 1974. It's been in fairly regular use since then but has got rather 'tired' looking over the last few years.

The brushed ally front doesn't look too bad but the anodising around the trim is all but worn off. Having given me something like 34 years of faithful service with only minor problems, it would be good to restore it to back to something like original.

Rich.
Old 29th May 2008, 6:50 pm   #2
Sideband
Dekatron

Default Re: Anodised plastic restoration.

Forgot to attach a picture. This shows the worn anodising.

Rich.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	S3010498.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	162.6 KB
ID:	17512  
Old 30th May 2008, 7:50 am   #3
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

I don't think it's anodised, but plated after a conducting coating has been applied to the component.
There are DIY kits available to do this from scratch, but unless you have quite a lot to refurbish, these wouldn't be cost-effective. Perhaps an approach to one of the people who will plate mobile phones and the like would be fruitful.
A reasonable bodge, on the other hand, would be to cover the trim with bright silver adhesive film, available from decent hobby / craft / art shops.
Old 30th May 2008, 9:52 am   #4
mastermanx2001
Retired Dormant Member

It looks like that chrome plated moulding is OK on one section, the almost horizontal section is bad. Thought about painting that satin black, not easy over peeling chrome, then thought about covering just (that section) with thin black leathercloth type material, it would have to be cut accurately (not that difficult) so as to look good. The push button knobs are no that bad. I think that the just the leathercloth would tidy it up a lot. Still, it may not be your cup of tea!
Old 30th May 2008, 12:09 pm   #5
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

A little while ago we had this (now archived) thread;

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ead.php?t=6175

on the related subject of plastic badges with chrome finish.

Regards,
Old 30th May 2008, 7:06 pm   #6
Sideband
Dekatron

Thanks for the ideas so far guys . I'd forgotten that tip using kitchen foil which could be one thing to try and I'll also check out the chrome paint. Maybe chrome paint with varnish...assuming one will not attack the other !

Rich.
Old 1st Jun 2008, 11:29 am   #7
Geoff 555
Heptode

Hi I guess this might be in the experimental category more than anything else, but possibly food for thought. We were experimenting with plating things such as leaves and flowers and all sorts of things and this was done by coating whatever with graphite powder and putting it into a bath with a copper sulphate solution and a copper plate this was connected across a battery, once copper plated then it was plated with nickel and from memory silver as well. Well it was over 50 years ago so memory is a bit hazy but it did work quite well. I am sure that people much more knowledgeable than I may be able to expand on this.
Cheers.
Geoff.
Old 1st Jun 2008, 9:41 pm   #8
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

Unfortunately, chromium plating is more involved (and hazardous) than copper plating! Plating leaves, etc is great fun, though.
Closed Thread