UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Feb 2019, 9:46 pm   #1
19Seventy7
Octode

Default 3.5mm Jack to Composite

Hi,

I've been thinking of ways to be able to get some kind of media on my TV

I realised that I could use my phone or PC, play Netflix and use a 3.5mm jack to composite cable into a VCR into the TV.

This slightly worked. I have sound but no video. I tested it on a modern tv to see if it was just the VCR at fault, or perhaps the cable; I got the same result on the modern TV, audio but no video.

Do headphone jacks also give out a video signal? I'm sure I've seen it done before, but could I could be wrong.

If they do, how easy would it be to fix the video connections in the cable? It's a "sealed" cable. An online search has been no help

I've asked on here as I don't want to ruin a decent cable (I use it for audio, too) if it is just due to the phone and PC.

Thanks
Old 28th Feb 2019, 10:33 pm   #2
Sideband
Dekatron

Default Re: 3.5mm Jack to Composite

Headphone jacks themselves do not have video content....why should they when they are headphone jacks? It is possible to have audio and video on a 3.5mm jack. It's a special jack with an extra connection so you have a common earth connection, two for audio (stereo) and one for composite video. Obviously the phone or PC should have a corresponding 'AV' (Audio/Video) socket.

Digital cameras usually have such an AV socket so they can be played via a TV...maybe that is where you saw it.
Old 28th Feb 2019, 10:52 pm   #3
Julesomega
Nonode

The 4th connection on a mobile phone lead is for the microphone plus a click switch

It's good here
Old 28th Feb 2019, 11:20 pm   #4
19Seventy7
Octode

Quote:
Headphone jacks themselves do not have video content....why should they when they are headphone jacks?
Digital cameras usually have such an AV socket so they can be played via a TV...maybe that is where you saw it.
Well that's what I thought, but I wasn't too sure. I tried it and obviously it didn't work.
I also realised where I had seen that connection, the back of my Xbox 360 (I cannot use that for anything other than a couple of games now)

Quote:
The 4th connection on a mobile phone lead is for the microphone plus a click switch
Do you mean in a phone charger? I've tried using an adaptor which goes into the charging port then has a 3.5mm jack output. That didn't work either.

Thanks for your replies
Old 28th Feb 2019, 11:54 pm   #5
Julesomega
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsertNameHere View Post
Do you mean in a phone charger? I've tried using an adaptor which goes into the charging port then has a 3.5mm jack output. That didn't work either.
Thanks for your replies
No, the lead for the headphones (and mic)

It's good here
Old 1st Mar 2019, 12:09 am   #6
19Seventy7
Octode

Oh right, sorry.

Thanks
Old 1st Mar 2019, 10:41 am   #7
llama
Octode

I bought a little media player offered here a few months ago. About the size of a fag packet. It plays content off an SD card and I used it extensively for a party last summer and for my Xmas mix during the festive season.

Natively it outputs HDMI but there's also an analogue output that can be selected. It has a 3.5mm jack and the matching plug has an extra ring compared with a stereo headphone jack plug.

I bought a plug-to-3-phonos adaptor off Amazon and connected the yellow, red, white to the obvious places on a SCART adaptor. I found the video was actually on the red or white phono with stereo on the other 2. There seems to be no actual standard for these connections but no real problem.
Graham
Old 1st Mar 2019, 10:44 am   #8
Sideband
Dekatron

Your PC might have an AV socket....it depends on what video card is fitted and how it's configured. I doubt that any phone would have an AV socket.
Old 1st Mar 2019, 2:08 pm   #9
Richard_FM
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama View Post
I bought a little media player offered here a few months ago. About the size of a fag packet. It plays content off an SD card and I used it extensively for a party last summer and for my Xmas mix during the festive season.

Natively it outputs HDMI but there's also an analogue output that can be selected. It has a 3.5mm jack and the matching plug has an extra ring compared with a stereo headphone jack plug.

I bought a plug-to-3-phonos adaptor off Amazon and connected the yellow, red, white to the obvious places on a SCART adaptor. I found the video was actually on the red or white phono with stereo on the other 2. There seems to be no actual standard for these connections but no real problem.
Graham
I've got one of these, & it came with a 3.5mm to 3 RCA cable, along with a digital audio cable & has a HDMI socket.
Old 1st Mar 2019, 2:52 pm   #10
Sideband
Dekatron

Red should be audio right, white should be audio left and yellow should be composite video. That was what Philips used and as far as my experience goes, so do most other manufacturers. My cheapie video camera from Aldi uses the same colours and so does my digital still camera.
Old 1st Mar 2019, 3:17 pm   #11
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama View Post
I bought a plug-to-3-phonos adaptor off Amazon and connected the yellow, red, white to the obvious places on a SCART adaptor. I found the video was actually on the red or white phono with stereo on the other 2.
Checking how the tip and rings map to the three phono plugs should establish whether it is the lead or the source that is using a non-standard configuration.
Old 1st Mar 2019, 7:23 pm   #12
Richard_FM
Nonode

I've got a few devices with a 3.5mm jack to 3 RCAs or scart, each with a different pinout for the jack!
Old 1st Mar 2019, 7:58 pm   #13
llama
Octode

Trial and error was easy enough - "video" coming out of one of the speakers was enough of a clue!
Graham
Old 2nd Mar 2019, 12:12 am   #14
19Seventy7
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideband View Post
Your PC might have an AV socket....it depends on what video card is fitted and how it's configured. I doubt that any phone would have an AV socket.
I don't think it does. I had a look earlier and it doesn't seem to have AV or any other type of “common” socket for TV connections.

I tried the phone charger port which i know works as I’ve seen it done before on Youtube, but I think the adaptor is only audio again

Going by what Llama and Dave have said, I could possibly be using the wrong connections for that lead, I’ll give it a try tomorrow when I’m home.

Thanks for your help, all. I really appreciate it
Closed Thread