UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 8th Sep 2010, 7:47 am   #1
LondonLeigh
Retired Dormant Member

Default Removing nicotine odour from bakelite - any suggestions?

Hi,

Can anyone suggest a method for removing a heavy nicotine odour from an old 332L? Beautiful condition...but it does smell!

Thanks.
Old 8th Sep 2010, 10:31 am   #2
SeanStevens
Octode

Default Re: Removing nicotine odour from bakelite - any suggestions?

Sprinkle with baking powder - leave for a while, vacuum off. Apparently this works for soft furnishings.

I guess a wash would help too......... but don't soak it.

SEAN
Old 8th Sep 2010, 11:09 am   #3
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

The trouble is that as a radio sucks in the air of the room the nicotine smoke gets into every nook and cranny that you can't reach such as IFTs and it is probably even soaked up by the wax parts of the set and if it has one the loudspeaker wrap around cloth. I doubt you will ever totally get rid of the smell but if you take the chassis out of the set and wash the cabinet it will help.
Old 8th Sep 2010, 11:23 am   #4
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Note that we're talking about a telephone here, not a radio.
Old 8th Sep 2010, 11:54 am   #5
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

Ah that explains why a Goggle search never showed up a 332L radio!

Must have been an even worse problem if people had been breathing their ciggy smoke directly into it especially if the next person to use it was a non-smoker. Yuk.
Old 8th Sep 2010, 1:22 pm   #6
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

I have used Baby Wipes to clean these instruments. They remove the muck very efficiently but you do need a lot of them as they dirty-up almost instantly. The surface of the Bakelite is also left reasonably, but not stunningly, glossy too. This method is handy for an instrument in regular use and which is subject to standard domestic cleaning routines.

Otherwise, for bad cases and 'Just out of grandad's attic' examples I use foam cleaner followed by furniture polish. Obviously foam cleaner needs keeping away from the internals, cords and the dial label.

I like these instruments to look clean but used, rather than having a lovely glossy 'just out of the factory' appearance. My methods may not, therefore, suit other people.
Old 8th Sep 2010, 11:42 pm   #7
LondonLeigh
Retired Dormant Member

Many thanks for all the replies. I'll give these a try.

Much appreciated.
Closed Thread