UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Sep 2005, 11:05 pm   #1
Alf
Hexode

Default Magic eye exposure to U.V radiation

Wonder what your views are on this item?

http://www.dialcover.com/eyetube.html
Old 12th Sep 2005, 11:17 pm   #2
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Default Re: Magic eye exposure to U.V radiation

Well the test seems reasonably conclusive to me.

I have a flourescent light in my workshop and the magic eyes in the sets in there continue to work fine. My Philips Reverbeo in the spare bedroom/office gets a bit of sunlight through the window each day; it is used regularly and still has a nice bright magic eye.

I wouldn't want to expose sets to strong sunlight for an extended period anyway as it could fade the fabric and affect the case finish. But I don't feel I need to add magic eye deterioriation to that list of reasons.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 12th Sep 2005, 11:25 pm   #3
Jeremy M0RVB
Hexode

Fascinating. A blast from an electron beam is ok but a bit of sunshine is not...

They should do a better test, i.e. cover part of the eye up and expose the rest to see if there is a difference in intensity.

Hmmm... I guess these guys did take the eye tube into the shade... they didn't just assume it had gone dim 'cos they could not see it due to the brightness of the sun! (argh, I said 'tube'! Must find soap to wash mouth out with...)
Old 13th Sep 2005, 6:57 pm   #4
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Hello,
Don't worry about it Lads...If you started the experiment now we would all be dead before the experiment yielded any results.....Very sad! Regards, JOHN.
Old 13th Sep 2005, 9:22 pm   #5
Danny
Heptode

Well once the experiment is done if its gone dark then he could put it on flee bay and sell it as nos and then blame it on the postie. i have read in an old practical television that if you leave a long percistance tube in the sunlight it would make the glow shorter so it could be used for tv!. I recently bought a VCR97 that had spent two years outside in the rain and snow, also in direct sunlight it is now in a home made television and apart from the contacts neading a good clean it still works now how many modern devices would survive with that sort of treatment!.
Old 13th Sep 2005, 10:43 pm   #6
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

If this really was of any major concern, I'd have thought radio manufacturers - at least of quality sets - would have installed a uv filter in front of the magic-eye. Maybe I'm just being silly.... or logical.
Old 14th Sep 2005, 11:58 am   #7
GMB
Dekatron

This raises again what is the detailed chemistry of the phosphor aging process?
Old 14th Sep 2005, 1:02 pm   #8
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

It's probably more a question of the 'radio ageing process'. We have to remember that, although many old valve radios etc are still going strong today, they were built with an intended lifespan which they've now well exceeded.

For example if a radio built in, say 1955, had a guarantee period of three years, this may well expire long before the phosphur life of a magic eye was calculated to expire under normal service conditions - so it wasn't seen as a problem by the manufacturers.

Then again, were these supposed problems of phosphur degeneration actually known about 40 or 50 years ago or have they simply manifested as time has marched on ?
Closed Thread