UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Jan 2019, 3:19 am   #21
Terry_VK5TM
Nonode

Default Re: Switched or Unswitched Sockets for HI-FI

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
The vast majority of this audiophool stuff is absolutely nuts. There have been many threads discussing this in the past. Adherents to these beliefs would benefit from a visit to a professional recording or broadcasting studio.
I think they should definitely see a professional, but not in the sound industry
Old 14th Jan 2019, 6:05 am   #22
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

Its not April 1st but you have been audiophooled!
Get out'a here!
Old 14th Jan 2019, 11:21 am   #23
kalee20
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramophone1 View Post
I really can't see why there would be any difference between switched sockets and unswitched sockets to be honest.
Neither can I! There's umpteen connections between the generator and the hi-fi amplifier. And I bet the GEGB haven't used oxygen-free copper in their generators, nor cryo-treated the brushgear to the excitation windings.

So unless you want to pay for the upgrade to all this, forget your socket!

Quote:
But hey, I could be wrong.
I'm happy to be wrong with you then. As are most people here! we're all happy though. "Where ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise!"
Old 14th Jan 2019, 11:50 am   #24
Glowing Bits!
Octode

Quote:
Do unswitched Sockets really make a difference to the overall sound quality of your hifi ?
No, but gold plating every pylon, substation, fusebox and internal wiring does!
If you believe that, you'll believe I'm Jesus!
Whoever told you that a socket switch makes a difference has quite clearly been spending too long in a field watching a bull have a crap!

Believe what you wish to, Rick.
Old 14th Jan 2019, 11:54 am   #25
Station X

Quote:
Do unswitched Sockets really make a difference to the overall sound quality of your hifi ?
Or is it just more hifi BS ?

I really can't see why there would be any difference between switched sockets and unswitched sockets to be honest. But hey, I could be wrong.

Any comments appreciated.
I wouldn't believe what members here say. Most of them believe in the laws of physics. Try some Hi-Fi forums where members will be able to tell you how much of an improvement in sound quality the choice of mains socket makes.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 14th Jan 2019, 12:01 pm   #26
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

Now I can sell you something that will make the sound stage wider and sharper for minimal outlay.
And for a little more cash I can increase the depth of the bass.

They are a little known item that was made many years ago, at the time no one realised that they were the definitive components for a valve amplifier.

The white ones are for the bass notes, the blue and white ones are for treble enhancement.

I can sell them to you for £140 each plus £23 for the white ones provided that you tell no one else, there are not too many left, I have the world stocks now.

Without giving anything away I can tell you that the technology is known as "mixed dielectric".

PM me with your order, if within the next 24 hours and you order at least one of each I will send you absolutely free a ceramic surge arrester which will remove harmful currents from your transformers.

Is this of interest to you?
Sam.
Old 14th Jan 2019, 12:11 pm   #27
Skywave
Rest in Peace

O.K. - so change the 230-v. 3-pin wall socket to improve the sound from your hi-fi. But why stop there? Should you have the entire house rewired? What about the consumer unit? Is the electricity meter affecting the quality of the sound? What about the cabling in the street and the transformer at the sub-station? Etc., etc.
In short, provided that the wall socket is not defective, it will not have any effect on your hi-fi in any way whatsoever.

Al.
Old 14th Jan 2019, 1:03 pm   #28
Glowing Bits!
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post

I wouldn't believe what members here say. Most of them believe in the laws of physics.
I agree, I'm all sarcasm and no logic, my law of physics is the spiritual world, it's where we all go when we die.
Take the above in a light-hearted way, Rick.

P.S. I'm watching Graham carefully, he likes to close posts early, this post may go the same way.
Old 14th Jan 2019, 1:11 pm   #29
Refugee
Dekatron

The only thing I have found that makes a difference to a HiFi is the shape of the room.
If one speaker is close to a doorway and the other in a corner they sound very different.
If you want to spend a lot of money you would have to build a special listening room.
Nothing else regardless of price or claims will make an obvious improvement.
Old 14th Jan 2019, 1:43 pm   #30
Station X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glowing Bits! View Post
P.S. I'm watching Graham carefully, he likes to close posts early, this post may go the same way.
I'll just point out that any decision to close threads manually is only taken after discussion by the mods, so it's a joint decision.

We generally post a "Stay On Topic" SOT message first and hope it's heeded.

Audiophoolery threads come up regularly and are generally allowed to run their course.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 14th Jan 2019, 1:55 pm   #31
Glowing Bits!
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glowing Bits! View Post
I'll just point out that any decision to close threads manually is only taken after discussion by the mods, so it's a joint decision.

We generally post a "Stay On Topic" SOT message first and hope it's heeded.

Audiophoolery threads come up regularly and are generally allowed to run their course.
Graham, I'm not having a go at the mods in any way, no harm is intended.
If it weren't for the mods, all hell would break loose on here.
When it comes to audiophoolery, it's something to take the ps out of.
I have yet to figure out how a socket can possibly affect sound quality, the phono connections would have more priority.
There has been no mention yet of the mains being disconnected from the amp via the tramsformer, the mains ain't straight to the transistors.
Rick.
Old 14th Jan 2019, 1:59 pm   #32
PsychMan
Octode

Apparently having wire fuses instead of MCBs provides for a more detailed soundstage

And radial sockets, as close to the consumer unit as possible. For best fidelity, bypass the incoming mains fuse, as that weedy piece of wire dampens the highs
Old 14th Jan 2019, 2:06 pm   #33
Refugee
Dekatron

These threads help to stop people from buying stuff that is not going to do anything useful.
I am all for them. There is not even a need to put links to auction sites in because the descriptions of the parts involved are plenty good enough.
If you want to see a lively forum with very relaxed moderation have a look at UK politics.
http://www.politicsforum.co.uk
They allow quite a bit of "street language" and only step in to deal with personal insults.
Old 14th Jan 2019, 2:08 pm   #34
Glowing Bits!
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychMan View Post
Apparently having wire fuses instead of MCBs provides for a more detailed soundstage

And radial sockets, as close to the consumer unit as possible. For best fidelity, bypass the incoming mains fuse, as that weedy piece of wire dampens the highs
I can see how an MCB could affect things, it has more than a set of contacts inside it, what about an RCD? They have dual (live &neutral) ferrites inside, this certainly kills off the ethernet homeplug signal.
It's crossed my mind before now to put in dedicated sockets before the RCD for the homeplugs, it may help the signal.
Rick.
Old 14th Jan 2019, 2:08 pm   #35
Dai Corner
Hexode

Surely a huge array of batteries is a better power source than the mains?
Old 14th Jan 2019, 2:14 pm   #36
Glowing Bits!
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dai Corner View Post
Surely a huge array of batteries is a better power source than the mains?
Till it goes flat.
All is well but DC will most likely kill anything made for AC only.
Rick.
Old 14th Jan 2019, 2:22 pm   #37
Refugee
Dekatron

You would have a jolly heavy HiFi if you installed SLA batteries in it.
They would have to be big enough to run the set all day and charge up again over night.
The switching would have to be on the DC side of the rectifier.
Old 14th Jan 2019, 2:24 pm   #38
dglcomp
Heptode

Supposedly (I think I heard this from someone on the sound on sound forums) some of this audiofoolery is actually required, not because on normal equipment it would make a difference but that the equipment is badly designed in such a way that certain products are needed.

Or it's the products that claim to make audio cleaner by ADDING! noise to the power lines.

At the end of the day the equipment used in recoding studios will ultimately decide how good or bad sounding the piece of music will be and therefore in theory using anything "better"/more expensive than what was used to create the music is pointless.

What comes out of the main studio monitors is how the mix engineer/artist(s) want(s) the music to sound and as such the only way to hear the music as the artist intended is to listen on the same setup, but as that is impractical/impossible no setup however expensive will ultimately get the "best" sound or sound as the engineer wanted from a given piece of music.
Old 14th Jan 2019, 2:26 pm   #39
dglcomp
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refugee View Post
They would have to be big enough to run the set all day and charge up again over night.
But think how loud a boombox you could make with a setup like that Wouldn't be good on your shoulders though
Old 14th Jan 2019, 2:31 pm   #40
Refugee
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dglcomp View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refugee View Post
But think how loud a boombox you could make with a setup like that Wouldn't be good on your shoulders though
Those afro guys are easily fit enough to carry a couple of hefty SLAs on there shoulders
Closed Thread