UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Jan 2019, 8:00 pm   #1
AndyG72
Retired Dormant Member

Default Sony SL-C7E Betamax repair

Got two of these machines to try and restore one - a project - one works (kind of) and the other is purely a donor machine. Have changed C041 on the servo board and C011 as the 'kind of' working machine has a picture that has rolling noise every few seconds (and no tracking control). Also, all the switches in the timer/clock have had it so I replaced all them using 6mmx6mmx12mm tactile switches and replaced the 1.5v battery too. Problem is, when I put it back in and powered it on there was now no clock

The clock/timer board is in three bits - the LCD panel itself, the board with the 1.5v battery and the board with the switches. They are all connected together with ribbon cables (soldered) and there doesn't appear to be any way of separating them whilst you work on on. Obviously, whilst I've been removing the old switches and soldering in the new ones the ribbon cable has had some movement back and forth and several wires have broken from their contacts on the board.

I've spent several hours de-soldering and re-soldering another ribbon cable between the switch board and battery board (as that appeared to be where the broken cables where) only to find that the cable on the LCD one has also come away too now

I'm toying with the idea of removing the clock out of the donor machine but obviously that'll need the switches and battery replacing too. Is there any way to replace these without straining the delicate ribbon cables connecting these boards and risk them breaking? The module does come out in one piece (as I found out afterwards) but looks the three circuit boards still have to be unscrewed from the plastic frame to do the repairs (which is going to put strain on the ribbon cables)

Any suggestions?

Cheers,

Andy
Closed Thread