UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Dec 2018, 4:28 pm   #21
G8HQP Dave
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Power economy of valve vs. Dab - Arithmetical error??

It ought to be possible for someone who is really smart to work out what the theoretical minimum power consumption is for DAB FFT and decoding, assuming non-reversible logic (the most wasteful kind, but about the only practical kind we have at present). It will be much smaller than current sets use, but when doing something in practice it is sometimes useful to know what the theoretical limit is.

40 years ago I might have been able to do it, but I always struggled with thermodynamics and have forgotten most of what little I learnt.
Old 19th Dec 2018, 11:52 am   #22
duncanlowe
Nonode

Technology finds a way of moving on. I remember a Motorola Handportable flip phone I had. It would manage 8 hrs standby, less if you actually used it. Yes partly the battery technology has changed, but so has the chipsets. This was after all analogue FM.

Modern smartphones are constantly improving battery life, and drive a display and transmitter as well as a receiver section that I expect requires way more processing than DAB reception. And then there are smart watches......
Old 19th Dec 2018, 1:29 pm   #23
G8HQP Dave
Rest in Peace

One of the current hogs in DAB reception will be the FFT needed for COFDM. Not all mobile standards use COFDM. Some 4G do, but '4G' is only loosely defined so I am not certain about what is called 4G in the UK.
Closed Thread