UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Mar 2014, 11:01 pm   #1
sobell1980
Octode

Default RS Components Signal Generator Part Number 611-133 LSG-17

Could any one advise me on this as a first signal generator to align and fault find on AM sets LW and MW. It comes with online user manual, no test leads, any ideas if iI could make some up or purchase etc.

RS Components Signal Generator Part Number 611-133 LSG-17
Regards
Dave
Old 26th Mar 2014, 1:16 am   #2
Herald1360
Dekatron

Default Re: RS Components Signal Generator Part Number 611-133 LSG-17

Should do the job. The spec looks about as good as a typical service shop unit would have been in the '60s.

Only caveat might be "thick film integrated circuits" aka unobtanium if they break......

Manual attached for info and other's comments.....
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Leader electr. lsg 17 instructions.pdf (993.9 KB, 583 views)
.........O..Chris....O
Old 26th Mar 2014, 8:35 pm   #3
sobell1980
Octode

Can any one tell me what leads i need to purchase to use this or make up? Also if anyobe could give me a rough value so i can make a sensible offer. It is almost unused apparently!
Many thanks
Dave.
Old 26th Mar 2014, 10:42 pm   #4
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

It looks very straight forward for your basic requirements; output connectors look like you need two 4mm plugs on to which you just need a length of 50R coax (2-3ft ?) and you can put a croc. clip on the end of the braid and create a test prod of some kind on a few inches un-screened wire on the live. It's very much one of those things where you can make something really simple to begin with, then embellish if necessary as you refine your technique; doubt that you need to buy any professional grade leads.

B
Old 27th Mar 2014, 1:34 am   #5
G0HZU_JMR
Dekatron

I googled the model number for ebay sales and they seem to sell for between £40 and £65.

The output level doesn't seem to be calibrated in any way so I guess this might cause a limitation if you wanted to calibrate an S meter on a shortwave radio for S9 on the dial.

Note: For similar money (maybe £20 more?) I would much rather buy a Marconi TF2016 generator. It will be over 30 years old but it's a much better generator and it's a similar size
Old 27th Mar 2014, 1:37 am   #6
Herald1360
Dekatron

Well the usual quick reference source seems to show them selling for between £25 and £60 with asking prices around the £60 mark from traders.

So- a judgement call. Personally I'd be happier at the lower end of the range but then I got a HP606A for about that much
.........O..Chris....O
Old 27th Mar 2014, 10:22 am   #7
peter_sol
Octode

I have one of these and do not find it good.
Using it to align a radio I.F. for instance gives a non symmetrical curve which you can hear when you tune a station, which of course made me think I had another fault. Very cheaply made.
I think they were just made to have frequencies available but not for accurate alignment.
Old 27th Mar 2014, 10:34 am   #8
Restoration73
Nonode

I have had one for 20 years and the benefit of a basic unit is that changing frequency
is easy and quick (I have a frequency meter connected to the output) and on the
highest band there is a bit of FM on the signal which is useful despite being an AM type.
The output impedance varies with the attenuator setting and you may need to obtain additional attenuation. As most test leads are screened it is a good idea to obtain
a 2 x 4mm to BNC socket adaptor which also permits use of BNC attenuators.
see http://uk.farnell.com/pomona/1269/ad...ana/dp/4435163
Frequency stability is good.
I also have Philips PM5324 and Marconi TF2005 for more demanding applications.
Old 27th Mar 2014, 4:34 pm   #9
PJL
Dekatron

There are essentially two types of signal generators:
a) One you trust to give accurate frequency with a quality attenuator to stop spurious pick-up
b) All others

I would put this in the "All others" category but others may have a different opinion. I use a similar signal generator for radio alignment as its small and easy to use but I use it with a digital frequency meter.

Affordable category a) types are big, heavy and complex and if they go wrong you may struggle to repair it assuming you can even find the parts.

Prices vary wildly and as you can see from the above, what were once state of the art test equipment, can sometimes be purchased for peanuts.
Old 27th Mar 2014, 8:24 pm   #10
sobell1980
Octode

Ok, I fully take on board what you are all saying. I am trying to branch out my diagnostic skills in this hobby. I have a Roberts RMB that i am struggling to repair, all i have really is a DMM, a gas soldering iron and a lot of patience! I have never used a signal generator before. I understand the principle of one and why you "probe" what you are testing with a capacitor in line with it, but the rest of it I really have no idea. I would not know how to set one up, which is why i went for a basic model. On the other hand I don't want something cheap and unreliable that will give me false readings or outcomes and lead me down the garden path. I am extremely keen and wish to be proficient at repairing valve radios and i feel i have come a long way, but still have much to learn. Perhaps someone on here could sell or recommend me such a signal generator and may be give some tuition ? Either through here or recommend areas on a set that i can practice on and what i should and should not find? Perhaps trawling ebay I will be misled end and i would be better trusting this forum. I have come to a dead end with my latest repair. I feel this is due to the lack of equipment and i feel i now need to progress onto the next chapter. This is a great place to be to learn and you are all a fountain of knowledge. Perhaps someone on here has the patience to guide me through buying a signal generator and teaching me how to use one.
Many thanks
Dave.
PS I have not bought the RS signal generator.

Last edited by sobell1980; 27th Mar 2014 at 8:29 pm. Reason: Punctuation
Old 27th Mar 2014, 9:47 pm   #11
AC/HL
Dekatron

One post moved to a new thread: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=104850
Old 28th Mar 2014, 8:10 am   #12
sobell1980
Octode

I have located perhaps a better signal generator, if it is suitable on ebay. It is a Marconi tf995 hf, vhf? Would need some help using it from the forum but it comes with all it's leads etc.
Dave.
Old 28th Mar 2014, 10:21 am   #13
G4XWDJim
Octode

Dave,

If I have found the correct one it looks like it covers 13 to 216 mHz which is quite unsuitable for your current requirements. Ideally you need one that starts at about 100 kHz and goes up to an upper frequency limit of 50 mHz or so, divided into a few bands so that you cover all the frequencies of most of the common receivers you're likely to come across.

Marconi stuff is generally very good. You should be able to find something very suitable. As an older sig gen a TF144H looks similar to that one but has the right ranges and features that you need.

Jim
Old 28th Mar 2014, 5:33 pm   #14
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Dave,

I don't have a signal generator for sale, but I've got a simple portable model that you are welcome to borrow to get the feel of using a sig gen. I also repaired a Roberts RMB quite recently, so am quite familiar with that model.

You would be very welcome to bring it over to my workshop where I could hopefully point you in the right direction regarding fault-finding.

Drop me a PM if you wish.

Phil

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 28th Mar 2014, 9:13 pm   #15
sobell1980
Octode

Many thanks Phil, i shall PM you shortly, sounds great though.
I have seen an Irwin EA1030 on ebay. Difficult to see from photos what ranges it covers? Only an hour left on it. Does anyone think it would be worth a punt?
Regards
Dave.
Old 28th Mar 2014, 9:18 pm   #16
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Dave, do take Phil up on his offer. There's nothing like one-to-one, face-to-face advice when faced with a repair that's proving tricky.

Nick.
Old 28th Mar 2014, 9:45 pm   #17
G0HZU_JMR
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobell1980 View Post
I have seen an Irwin EA1030 on ebay. Difficult to see from photos what ranges it covers? Dave.
It looks like a very old function generator with sine, triangle and square wave output capability. This probably won't have an AM modulation capability and I'd expect that the levels from it will be too high for typical receiver use. It looks awful too.

Definitely not suitable for receiver alignment...
Old 28th Mar 2014, 9:48 pm   #18
Herald1360
Dekatron

No, the Irwin EA1030 is an audio only sig gen- not what you want at all!
.........O..Chris....O
Old 28th Mar 2014, 9:53 pm   #19
Herald1360
Dekatron

There is a Triplett 1632 on Ebay that might be worth consideration...... it's certainly vintage and looks quite interesting.
.........O..Chris....O
Closed Thread