UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Mar 2014, 7:25 pm   #1
threeseven
Octode

Default Farnell bench PSU strangeness!

Recently I bought a Farnell C1 bench psu, 0-50V at upto 1A. It's faulty, which I knew about. Just removed the top cover and found something strange and which I've never seen the like of before. All around the flanges of the chassis which form the attachment to the top covers sides and top there is a deliberately applied coating of what looks and smells like Linseed oil!
Some of it has dripped onto one of the PCB's. It's quite nasty to deal with as it tends to be wherever i put my fingers! Also the top cover has been painted black over the original blue.
Obviously I'll be removing it but it's a total mystery why anyone would do this

Anyone care to offer an explanation?
Old 17th Mar 2014, 7:28 pm   #2
woodchips
Octode

Default Re: Farnell bench PSU strangeness!

Paper capacitor exploded?
Old 17th Mar 2014, 7:37 pm   #3
threeseven
Octode

No, whatever the substance is, and I'm quite certain it is linseed oil, it has been deliberately applied.
Old 17th Mar 2014, 7:53 pm   #4
Radio Wrangler

Can't think of anything that would degrade into linseed oil. And if it isn't in places explicable by a spill from above, well that just leaves the strange religious rite as the only possible answer.

DAvid
Old 17th Mar 2014, 9:53 pm   #5
G0HZU_JMR
Dekatron

I think it can be used to repel water once it sets so maybe this was someone's pet way to stop corrosion?

Just be grateful you didn't also buy a car from the same person
Old 17th Mar 2014, 10:06 pm   #6
turretslug
Dekatron

I was once given a nice simple, 10MHz double beam (emphasis double beam, not dual trace!) Philips scope from the 24V option era that had been rescued from the skip, naturally I opened it up just to check before powering it- it was absolutely swimming with green oil that had all the look and aroma of Duckhams, the scope didn't actually have many large openings/crevices in it, so I was puzzled as to how it was so sodden internally. It actually cleaned up quite well quite quickly and worked fine, not even any noticeable switch problems- though I always bore in mind that it could represent a fire hazard and didn't leave it on unattended. I told the guy who gave it to me that it appeared to have been immersed in engine oil, he laughed and confessed that it was from the MT yard at Chobham.
Old 17th Mar 2014, 10:31 pm   #7
Alistair D
Nonode

You need to read this article before cleaning up the mess. No it is not a joke.

http://www.esfrs.org/blackmuseum/linseedOilRags.shtml

Al
Old 17th Mar 2014, 10:59 pm   #8
threeseven
Octode

Thanks for that Al, I had forgotten about that phenomena. There isn't all that much on this supply and what I have wiped off is now in the bin outside. I'm thinking that this may have once been a spill on top of the supply and found it's way to the flange joins by capillary action. Any surplus on top would have been wiped up at the time. There is some on the bottom cover too, so it would seem to support this possibility.