UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Oct 2010, 6:34 pm   #1
djrmalton
Diode

Default Universal portable telephone

Greetings everyone,
I've been lurking here for a while but now and have found the forum very interesting, Now I need your help please.

I have just aquired this old Universal portable telephone, it was manufactured by T&S (Electronic Developments) LTD, Harrow on the Hill, Middlesex part number 5152 and dates from the early 1970's. It seems to be some kind of linesman's telephone but has some unusual terminals and switching combinations.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Telephone-tester.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	41763

Does anybody now what it is intended to test? it seems to work ok as a simple test device in some of its switch positions but I haven't managed to work out what all the extra terminals and switch positions are meant to do.

I'll take some more photos and post them if it would help anybody. Inside there is a circuit board with about 4 transistors, a couple of transformers, a relay, and a small black box with two terminals with printing on the side 5-6 V and possibly an adjustment screw - perhaps a buzzer but I havent heard it yet ...

In some switch positions it generates ringing current on the A & B terminals and lights a small neon indicator on the front panel when the keyswitch is operated. There is a press to talk button on the handset. The device is operated by a 6 volt PP1 battery which I have replaced by 4 AA nicads.

Best regards, David.

Last edited by Michael Maurice; 22nd Oct 2010 at 7:14 pm. Reason: converting url to thumbnail picture
Old 22nd Oct 2010, 7:16 pm   #2
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Default Re: Universal portable telephone

Is there any chance of a legible shot of the instructions in the lid?
Old 22nd Oct 2010, 7:41 pm   #3
djrmalton
Diode

Hello Dave, thanks for taking an interst, here are some more photos ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Moll View Post
Is there any chance of a legible shot of the instructions in the lid?
This last photo is of my other new toy, a 3+1 switchboard which I have repaired and now am in the process of instaling into our house system. Other devices include field phones and a FreeSwitch voip system with Siemens voip/dect phones. My oldest phone is a very old field phone from about 1920.

Best regards, David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	phone1.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	41793   Click image for larger version

Name:	phone2.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	41794   Click image for larger version

Name:	phone3.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	41795   Click image for larger version

Name:	phone4.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	41796  
Old 23rd Oct 2010, 4:40 pm   #4
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Hopefully, they'll mean more to someone else than they do to me! I just about understood the last three (presumably "G" is effectively "off-hook", and "H"/"J" are "on-hook" - for auto and manual exchanges respectively).