UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 31st Dec 2007, 3:38 pm   #1
Tom_I
Heptode

Default Anyone recognise this World Radio "Playmate"?

I've just come across this snippet about new-fangled transistor radios in the Daily Express Motor Show Review of 1963.

The radio in the picture is called "the Playmate, a set made by World Radio". This maker is not mentioned in Radio! Radio!, though I found it mentioned on a website in connection with car radios.

Does anyone recognise the set? Could it have been sold under another name?

Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trans63.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	14253  
Old 31st Dec 2007, 4:34 pm   #2
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Anyone recognise this World Radio "Playmate"?

The only company I'm aware of using the name "World Radio" was one based in Iowa, USA but as far as I know they were mainly concerned with amateur radio equipment.

The text accompanying the illustration contains comments which suggest far-eastern (Japanese?) origin....the bit about 'Feminine attachments', for example.

I've just trawled the internet for various dedicated transistor radio sites, of which there's several, but can't find anything. It'll be interesting to see if any further info turns up from other members.
Old 31st Dec 2007, 5:04 pm   #3
Tom_I
Heptode

The only thing I have come up with is this page, fourth picture down. The caption says:

Quote:
This is a vintage 1950s UK Radio made by World Radio Limited London. When you turn the radio on, it says "Playmate" in the middle of the dial. Apparently World Radio Ltd had many models of these, such as radios that said Jaguar and Aston Martin in the center of the dial. This is similar to the Radiomobile radios of this vintage and is 12V positive ground. This is an AM only radio, made for the US market with dial numbers reading left to right. The radio is shown in an under dash mount but can easily be removed to mount into the dash of the car.
Old 31st Dec 2007, 8:09 pm   #4
Steve_P
Dekatron

Could it be a British Version of this....

http://radioinsoffitta.it/html/radio...Philips_16.htm

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 31st Dec 2007, 8:24 pm   #5
Tom_I
Heptode

I don't think so. There appear to be three pushbuttons above the large circular dial, and there's no thumbwheel control on the front at the bottom (there's one on the right hand side towards the top). It looks vaguely familiar, but I just can't place it.
Old 31st Dec 2007, 8:32 pm   #6
Steve_P
Dekatron

Yes, it's annoying isn't it. Sure I fixed one a few years back.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 31st Dec 2007, 9:01 pm   #7
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Tom I - You are correct in that 'World Radio' was a UK Brand, associated with S. Smith & Sons(Radiomobile)Ltd. I don't recognise the set in your picture, but, over the years several different types were produced, the later ones being marketed under the 'Courier' brand name.
Old 31st Dec 2007, 11:57 pm   #8
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'LIVEWIRE?' View Post
Tom I - You are correct in that 'World Radio' was a UK Brand, associated with S. Smith & Sons(Radiomobile)Ltd.
And Radiomobile was associated with HMV (S.Smith was a subsidiary company).

The set in the picture reminds me strongly of one of the HMV / Ultra portables of the right era, but I can't put my hand on a picture!

Regards,
Old 2nd Jan 2008, 8:40 am   #9
Tonypam
Triode

World Radio were a London company who made and marketed Motorola car radios.They did team up with Radiomobile/Smiths/HMV for a short period of time in the 60's i believe. As for the set in question,I have'nt seen one personally, but i am sure I saw one for sale a few years ago.I guess they used the same format as Ever Ready and Philips portable sets did back then by utilising a bracket which was fixed to the fascia of your car and the portable set simply slotted in....sadly the idea never really took off.
Old 2nd Jan 2008, 10:43 pm   #10
Tom_I
Heptode

The whole idea of removable car portables was to circumvent the requirement to buy a separate radio licence for a set which was a fixture in a car.

The "radio only" licence was abolished in the UK in 1971, and as transistorised car radios became much more affordable, the car/portable types soon disappeared.
Closed Thread