UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Jan 2019, 9:47 pm   #1
Homo carbonis
Retired Dormant Member

Default Garrard 3500: Broken platform

First poster here, hello.
I have just acquired a Bush SRP51 with a Garrard 3500 turntable. Everything seems to work except the autochanger (a problem for another day) but the plastic platform which lifts the pickup arm is broken in half. I have tried sticking it with epoxy but it seems to be made of some sort of low-friction plastic which is very resistant to adhesives (Delrin?). Does anyone know a secret to stick this sort of thing together, or failing that a source for a replacement?
Old 10th Jan 2019, 12:00 pm   #2
Audio1950
Dekatron

Default Re: Garrard 3500: Broken platform

"Osmaweld", used to join plastic guttering and downpipes works well, it partially melts the edges, and welds them together. You have to be quick, though!
Old 16th Jan 2019, 5:54 pm   #3
Homo carbonis
Retired Dormant Member

I had one more go with the epoxy before buying anything new. I rubbed the glue into each side of the join with sandpaper and then clamped them together overnight and it seems to have done the trick.

The problem I now have is that I had to remove the pivot screw for the horizonal axis of the tonearm to get the broken part out and I can't work out how to replace it. There seems to be no thread to screw it into, just a smooth hole.
Old 19th Jan 2019, 10:00 am   #4
Homo carbonis
Retired Dormant Member

Never mind, I worked it out. The lever which comes up from below has the threaded hole.
Closed Thread