UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Dec 2018, 1:03 pm   #1
stevehertz
Dekatron

Default Comet flyers?

A thought occurred to me. I love reading old equipment ads, particularly old hifi ones. Comet often used to take out a whole wadge of pages to advertise their hifi deals in hifi mags. But did they ever give out 'flyers' along the same lines? I seem to recall that they did but I can't be sure. I'd love to get hold of some for pure nostalgia's sake!
Old 28th Dec 2018, 2:16 pm   #2
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Default Re: Comet flyers?

Don't remember Comet doing this but I'm pretty sure Lasky's did - oh, yesterday, leave me alone!
Old 28th Dec 2018, 2:21 pm   #3
TonyDuell
Dekatron

I vaguely remember a sort of magazine put out by Comet that contained equipment reviews and answers to questions (heavily biased I might add). The issue I remember (might have been the only one I ever had, and if I still have it I have no idea where it is) had a review of a Leak tuner/amplifier, I think the 1800.
Old 29th Dec 2018, 1:01 am   #4
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

Was it Comet that had a pricing policy in its stock list sheet of listing items out of stock at a price ending in 94p?
Old 29th Dec 2018, 1:27 am   #5
AC/HL
Dekatron

A friend of ours worked at Comet in the early days, they sold more than mass produced goods back then. I bought a Decca H4E head and arm there amongst other things!
Old 30th Dec 2018, 12:39 pm   #6
Junk Box Nick
Octode

My Connoisseur SAU2 pick-up arm was bought from Comet.

I don't remember any promotional literature a la Lasky's or Tandy.
Old 30th Dec 2018, 2:14 pm   #7
stevehertz
Dekatron

No I don't remember any myself 'as an actual fact', I was just curious and hopeful. Seems like they just used to take out those four or so double page spreads in hifi mags then.
Old 30th Dec 2018, 2:20 pm   #8
Reelman
Octode

Yes, Comet did produce a newspaper sized sheet with all their prices for a time at least. I’ve just bought one (yesterday) from eBay dated August 1972! Great minds must think alike....
They also produced a “run out” list of odds and ends that you could ask to see for extra bargains.
Peter
Old 30th Dec 2018, 9:08 pm   #9
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

I remember the Comet ad-sheets: usually 4 sides of models/prices, in weekend national newspapers.

Apocryphally, people would go to a high-street shop to look at TVs/radios/white-goods there, choose the model they wanted - then go to Comet to buy it. This annoyed the high-street stores to the point where to pacify them the major manufacturers started producing the same-model-under-different-model-numbers with one model-number going to high-street outlets the other to Comet, so when someone decided - following a visit to their high-street store - that they wanted an ElectroSerHotLux 1100DX-1 washing-machine, they couldn't find that model in the Comet price-list. Comet salespeople would of course advise that their 1100RX-2 was actually the same model.

This also allowed high-street dealers/shops to identify Comet-supplied gear and implement differential-pricing for subsequent repairs to stuff bought from Comet rather than themselves - a sort of "I didn't buy it from you but..." surcharge.
Old 31st Dec 2018, 12:48 pm   #10
radioman
Heptode

I was a regular visitor to our local Comet store and often picked up the current price list. This had twelve pages or so and came out every two weeks.
I still have a few of these (circa 1981-'83) although they're a bit 'dog-eared' and yellowed.
Some pics below to whet your appetite

Andy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Comet.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	175476   Click image for larger version

Name:	Comet2.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	175477  
Old 31st Dec 2018, 1:09 pm   #11
Reelman
Octode

Nice to see them again Andy, just shows what a huge range of kit Comet used to stock (or at least try to....).
Also the increase in size from the four pages of 1972.
Bought all my hi-if from Comet in the 70s so happy memories of Yardley and Selly Oak branches.
Peter
Old 31st Dec 2018, 6:42 pm   #12
wd40addict
Octode

In the early eighties Comet was the go-to outlet when the Japanese importers wanted to clear stocks of last year's models. Slowly this role was taken over by Richer sounds as Comet appeared to lose interest in the Hi-Fi separates market.
Old 1st Jan 2019, 12:07 am   #13
KeithsTV
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelman View Post
Bought all my hi-if from Comet in the 70s so happy memories of Yardley and Selly Oak branches.
Peter
I remember the Selly Oak branch as I bought many items from there including two TVs, a car radio which had to go to their service department for repair under warranty, a camera and many accessories and the final item was a CD player. Still have the CD player and one of the TVs.

I remember the flyers but they were usually thrown away when the next one came out. I was once told that the pence part of the price indicated the status of the item but can't remember how it worked.

Keith
Old 1st Jan 2019, 1:08 am   #14
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by wd40addict View Post
In the early eighties Comet was the go-to outlet when the Japanese importers wanted to clear stocks of last year's models. Slowly this role was taken over by Richer sounds as Comet appeared to lose interest in the Hi-Fi separates market.
I think the main reason was that the hifi separates market was dwindling rapidly for a number of reasons. Firstly with the advent of cheaper production techniques such as greater use of plastics and LEDs, then certainly at the bottom end of the market buyers were happy to buy 'all in one' units that looked like a stacked system but were not, and where cheesy 'Christmas tree ' looks were more important than sound quality. I also personally feel that it was around this time that the proverbial hifi snob changed up to fifth gear and began to turn his back on 'mass produced ' hifi in favour of the smaller, 'techy', home based manufacturers whose approach heralded in the zanier, smoke and mirrors approach to marketing that we still see today, the "silver cables sound better" situation . Plus of course, to an extent the market had become flooded, most viewing their hifi purchase as a (perhaps not quite) once in a lifetime thing. The bottom line being, mainstream buyers became less discerning, more cost conscious and more attracted to flashing lights than sound quality. The nett result being that hifi became more of a commodity product than one to be chosen with forethought and passion. Which is somewhat ironic given that Comet were in effect the box shifters of the hifi world. At any rate, people no longer wanted to pick and mix their hifi components when they could get a vertical music centre for a fraction of the price.
Old 1st Jan 2019, 12:41 pm   #15
mike_newcomb
Rest in Peace

Hi Steve,
you are correct in that when Comet first opened Warehouse style outlets, unlike others, they gave out a price list showing just make, model and price. This covered everything, not just hifi, and not all items would be on display, but could be ordered.

I think the lists were updated weekly or fortnightly, and generally were one or two sheets.

This method was a breath of fresh air compared to existing sale methods of just seeing what is displayed in small outlets such as Currys then. I have pleasant memories of visiting the Comet store in Wembley which opened in the 60's. Sadly now closed.

One such list is currently being offered here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-O...1Nue:rk:4:pf:0

Regards - Mike
Old 1st Jan 2019, 12:45 pm   #16
stevehertz
Dekatron

Thanks Mike. I want something like that - with pictures!
Old 4th Jan 2019, 2:10 pm   #17
mike_newcomb
Rest in Peace

Hi, by sheer coincidence, today in Prato (near Florence) I had to visit:

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...ce=sh%2Fx%2Fim

with a Friend in order to purchase a special Floodlight Bulb.

Regards - Mike
Old 4th Jan 2019, 2:22 pm   #18
Richard_FM
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by wd40addict View Post
Interestingly in Stockport Richer Sounds is more or less opposite the building Comet used to be in, before they moved to the Peel Centre.

I don't think there were both open at that location at the same time though.
Old 4th Jan 2019, 3:30 pm   #19
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithsTV View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelman View Post
Peter
I remember the Selly Oak branch as I bought many items from there including two TVs, a car radio which had to go to their service department for repair under warranty, a camera and many accessories and the final item was a CD player. Still have the CD player and one of the TVs.

I remember the flyers but they were usually thrown away when the next one came out. I was once told that the pence part of the price indicated the status of the item but can't remember how it worked.

Keith
Where was the Selly Oak branch? Heeley Road rings a bell.

I lived there as a student from 93-98 and by then ISTR it was on the Battery Retail Park.

N.
Old 5th Jan 2019, 12:32 am   #20
KeithsTV
Nonode

Heeley Road rings a bell but I think the last time I visited was in 1984 when I bought my CD player. The car park was often a nightmare trying to find somewhere to park. There was the main warehouse and the service department on the same site.

Keith
Closed Thread