UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Jan 2019, 1:49 pm   #1
SteveCG
Nonode

Default UK VHF/FM radio SCA/RBDS first use

Can somebody tell me when the use of the SCA/RBDS services (that is, those above the stereo components) on VHF/FM radio first started in the UK?
Old 3rd Jan 2019, 2:14 pm   #2
G8HQP Dave
Rest in Peace

Default Re: UK VHF/FM radio SCA/RBDS first use

RDS (RDBS is the later American version) was defined by EBU in 1984, according to Wikipedia. This site says it was used in the UK from the early 90s. However, this site says that the first car radio with RDS appeared in 1988. According to this article RDS was already being rolled out by the BBC in 1989.
Old 3rd Jan 2019, 2:26 pm   #3
Nuvistor
Dekatron

The car I had in 1992 had an RDS radio, I found it very useful.
Old 3rd Jan 2019, 6:09 pm   #4
John_BS
Octode

Wrotham experiments took place in c 1987.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/publications/rdreport_1987_17

John
Old 3rd Jan 2019, 7:12 pm   #5
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvistor View Post
The car I had in 1992 had an RDS radio, I found it very useful.
Yes, I had a RDS radio in my 1993 Granada: it was good, if only because it helped me identify the 'DX' stations when I was travelling to the more-remote extremities of the UK.

The traffic-news available via the RDS "EON" feature several times saved me from sitting in a many-hour-long tailback on M6 or M1.

As someone who's always been more interested in hearing a station than listening to it I thought the RDS station-ID data display on the radio was brilliant. "It's stopped its seek and is saying Wyvern which is in Worcestershire, but I'm in Ayrshire! Must be a lift on".

I always found it annoying that few UK RDS-enabled stations also included the 'program content' flags - the News/Pop/Culture/Jazz/Classical/Talk/Sport indicators that were defined under the RDS protocol. They were extensively used in continental Europe.
Old 3rd Jan 2019, 11:03 pm   #6
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

It is also possible to get "clever" with the station name field, and have an animated message scrolling round. No doubt outlawed by OFCOM, but I did see it done once by a pirate near Birmingham.
Old 4th Jan 2019, 11:38 am   #7
Jonster
Heptode

Ford were the first major manufacturer to start fitting RDS radios to the majority of their cars in the UK towards the end of 1990 for the 1991 model year. This catalysed the use of RDS in the commercial radio market and it took off pretty quickly from that point onwards.
Old 4th Jan 2019, 12:47 pm   #8
SteveCG
Nonode

I asked the question because I've been thinking about the various sources of intermodulation in the (long) overall chain from the 'live performance' studio to the listening chair at home. I've noticed that different VHF/FM tuner makers employed differing pre and post decoder filtering, and was speculating on the impact that the introduction of RDS and SCA had on producing audible 'curiosities'.
Old 4th Jan 2019, 1:07 pm   #9
boxdoctor
Rest in Peace

I have always understood that S.C.A. in the American meaning was for a sub-carrier to play in-store 'Muzak' on a subscription basis. Dates back a long way (?50s?).
I once saw an article in an old american radio magazine describing the building of an "S.C.A. Adaptor" to fit to one's home F.M.tuner to get free background music. This was in the days before F.M. was available in the U.K. Tony
Old 4th Jan 2019, 1:16 pm   #10
G8HQP Dave
Rest in Peace

RDS is unlikely to do much damage to the audio, provided that the tuner has wide and smooth enough IF bandwidth. In the stereo decoder the 53kHz stuff will be moved down to 19kHz, where the pilot tone filter should get rid of it. Even when pilot tone cancellation was used there should still be an HF rolloff.

My guess is that it would only leak through into the audio in lower quality receivers, which will have other problems anyway.
Closed Thread