UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Old 30th Nov 2023, 4:06 pm   #1
CaCtus_SaNdwich
Triode

Default Tandberg 3041x Capacitor Replacement.

Hello

I'm currently going through recapping and testing the electronics in my Tandberg 3041x reel-to-reel. So far, I've sourced all but one capacitor replacement.

The value in question is 500uf 12v; there are two, and they are for the left and right audio amplification.

All I've been able to find available is 470uf 16v. Anyone with more experience with Tandbergs knows if I can get away with it.

I've attached a snapshot from where it sits, on the circuit.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-11-30 at 14.34.19.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	289034  
CaCtus_SaNdwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Nov 2023, 4:26 pm   #2
Cobaltblue

Default Re: Tandberg 3041x Capacitor replace

Electrolytics generally have a wide tolerance especially older parts.

The standard replacement is 470uF for the 500uF part and you will find this will work fine.

The slightly higher voltage won't be a problem either modern parts are much smaller and unless you go for a much higher rating say replacing a 10V part with a 100V part it will not be detrimental to the life of the capacitor.

So the part you have identified is a good substitution.

Cheers

Mike T
Cobaltblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Nov 2023, 4:42 pm   #3
ButchJames
Tetrode

The voltage rating is the theoretical maximum for the electrolyte within the capacitor before electrostatic breakdown due to high E field strength. Choosing a higher rated capacitor is no problem, and is something I often do.

The 470uF replacement will be fine too, it will be used for biasing, and at audio frequencies the 470uF/500uF will be bypassed as intended.
Old 30th Nov 2023, 6:53 pm   #4
ben
Dekatron

By 'recapping', are you replacing all the capacitors? Or have you identified a few as defective?
Old 11th Dec 2023, 10:36 pm   #5
CaCtus_SaNdwich
Triode

Hello, there were a few that had become loose on the board so I thought I'd replace them, it seems someone has been in before and done some questionable soldering work.
CaCtus_SaNdwich is offline   Reply With Quote