UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Old 21st Nov 2022, 9:56 pm   #1
Issonian
Diode

Default Radio Similar to Defiant MSH972

When I was aged around 7-11 my parents had a Defiant radio that looked similar to the MSH972 model. Possible differences were (a) that the magic eye was set into the cabinet and not part of the tuning dial and (b) there might have been a set of present tuning buttons. Does anyone recognise such a desription and what might the model number have been?
Issonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Nov 2022, 8:48 am   #2
Station X

Default Re: Radio Similar to Defiant MSH972

Have you tried searching on this site using the pictures only option?

https://www.radiomuseum.org/

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Station X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Nov 2022, 9:57 am   #3
Issonian
Diode

Thanks for the tip, Graham. Based on the picture search, the tuning dial on my parents' radio was more like the MSH952 with its octagonal design. Were there any other Defiant radios made with intervening model numbers like MSH953, 962, 964, etc, do you (or anyone else) know?
Old 22nd Nov 2022, 11:13 am   #4
Paul_RK
Dekatron

I expect there are a good many more MSH9xx models from the 1930s that aren't represented there yet. I have two console (floor-standing) models that aren't there, and had two others until our move in 2019 necessitated a big auction to reduce the colony. I can't say your description rings any particular bells, but I saw numerous table sets too while living in the NE where the strength of the Co-Op movement put Defiant among the most popular radio brands.

Paul
Paul_RK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Nov 2022, 9:07 pm   #5
Issonian
Diode

Thanks, Paul - seems like my parents' model might be out there somewhere, but how to find it? I'm very new to this website - do you think there is a Defiant catalogue anywhere? Are there any auctions that specialize in vintage radios, do you know?

Issonian
Old 24th Nov 2022, 1:45 pm   #6
Paul_RK
Dekatron

The BVWS website publicises forthcoming sales -

https://www.bvws.org.uk/ -

otherwise, auctioneers up and down the country have occasional sales dedicated to vintage radio when collectors pass on or drastically reduce their holdings. The Co-Op's creation of its own brand - if I remember rightly its dividend policy prevented it from offering other manufacturer's sets, as it effectively provided a discount and so would have undermined price controls - didn't endear it to radio retailers' bodies, and information on Defiant sets from the '30s, both sales brochures/catalogues and service data, is unfortunately especially hard to find.
Paul_RK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Nov 2022, 3:45 pm   #7
Issonian
Diode

Thanks, Paul, that website looks very interesting. I have meanwhile written to a CWS archive organization that might (or might not) be able to help me with Defiant radio set information. They said it might take a while to respond.