UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Nov 2007, 5:53 pm   #1
Racalfanatic
Retired Dormant Member

Default Carole Hersee Test Card F

Has anyone seen this?
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/main...testcard25.xml
Old 24th Nov 2007, 11:27 pm   #2
brianc
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Carole Hersee Test Card F

Hi all
I used to work with George Hersee when at the BBC. He was a very self-effacing guy but had, like many people there, a great depth of knowledge. That was a time when the BBC had an incredible collection of very clever engineers working for them (I am NOT including myself in that group) who instigated or developed many original ideas such as inlay - switching between two video sources using cut-out shapes, Colour Separation Overlay, now known as ChromaKey, the line-store standards converter, framestore standards converter, etc. etc. One engineer (Brian Pethers) even developed the Russian colour system before the Russians did!!
What a difference now! Almost reduced to a program publisher.
I am not trying to minimise the contributions that ITA/ITVA made.
Cheers
Brian
Old 24th Nov 2007, 11:49 pm   #3
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianc View Post
.....One engineer (Brian Pethers) even developed the Russian colour system before the Russians did!!
I knew Brian quite well. He and I were colleagues at Michael Cox Electronics in the early 1980s. He was frequently very inventive and original. More recently he used to come to BVWS Harpenden meetings. He died about 4 or 5 years ago.

I met George Hersee just once when I was doing a summer holiday job at BBC Designs Department. I remember him showing me some variants of Test Card C. I distinctly remember seeing one with a dark skinned child which was designed for an African country.
Old 25th Nov 2007, 11:15 am   #4
brianc
Rest in Peace

In the interview with Carole Hersee, she mentions that she still has the clown (Bubbles) safely tucked up in a box. Its value is, I should imagine, one of those things we will never know!
Brian
Old 25th Nov 2007, 5:42 pm   #5
Mr Hoover
Hexode

In Sweden they used a different girl with a doll in the centre of their
old monochrome testcard
http://www.meldrum.co.uk/mhp/testcar...ld/st1_168.jpg

I remember receiving this via Sporadic E in band I in the early 1970's,
a little later they went over to the Phillips PM5544 electronic pattern with
the ident "TV1" at the top & "SVERIGE" at the bottom
Closed Thread