UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 9th Dec 2016, 5:33 pm   #41
Euros1951
Triode

Default Re: Telegraph poles: historical data?

Quote:
Originally Posted by russell_w_b View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by space charge View Post
'...the wires soldered under the cap and the recess filled with melted wax.'
This may be so, but the No:16 pot-heads I have seen have a brass connector block under the cap rather than a soldered joint, then wax-filled. The ones with the taller caps have fuses fitted in them.
The 16's with the smaller caps usually had brass connectors so that you could test the line and disconnect and test forward to the telephone. Though, rarely they were soldered (Brittania) joints.
The 16's with the larger caps were used for lightning protection and used protectors ( black) , and there would be an earth strap run down the pole to the ground.
Old 9th Dec 2016, 10:37 pm   #42
Oldcodger
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagskarlsen View Post
At least you may see some pictures from Norway here, end we did not invent the telephone line

What actually are of extreme interst are the way of relvolving (twisting) the pairs after well documented (at least in Norwegian) schemes.

The twisting reduced the noise and over-hearing (??) considerably.
dag- known as transpositions, there were several maps of designs on major trunk routes . From my rememberance of the topic, done to reduce overhearing, on long trunk audio routes. In the early days, ex armp kit ( 1+3/4 etc) was used to provide junction capacity on medium roures ( circa 50 miles). No problem on the carrier (=+3/4) , but overhearing could be a problem on the 1+ (i.e Audio) portions.
Old 16th Dec 2016, 3:36 pm   #43
mark_in_manc
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigham View Post
GPO domestic telephone service. They often had turned finials when I was a lad. I used to wonder how big the lathe was to turn them!
Well, here's one today in inner-city Manchester. But no date code, pole strength code, height code. Thanks so much, whoever it was on this thread who turned me on to this. My neighbours will have me arrested...unless I wear my hi-vis coat and pretend to be working for BT!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PC160395small.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	134495  
Old 16th Dec 2016, 4:13 pm   #44
mark_in_manc
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave walsh View Post
I was a Clerk in the Post Office Supplies Department, Boyle Street, Cheetham Hill, Manchester in 1969....It's still there as a Transport Museum...
That's interesting Dave. I wonder when the GPO moved in - I was under the impression it had been built at the same time as the adjoining and very large bus garage, which is the surviving tram terminus for the Manchester system (the one at the other end, Princess Rd, was recently demolished).

Off-topic (unless you count trolley busses as general vintage electrical technology) - but it's an excellent low-key museum led by volunteers.
Old 16th Dec 2016, 8:44 pm   #45
Pellseinydd
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_in_manc View Post
Well, here's one today in inner-city Manchester. But no date code, pole strength code, height code. Thanks so much, whoever it was on this thread who turned me on to this. My neighbours will have me arrested...unless I wear my hi-vis coat and pretend to be working for BT!
If you keep your eyes open in the heavenly direction, you'd be surprised how many survivors there are. Here is one survivor on the road between Crewe and Nantwich.http://tinyurl.com/pole-finial-Crewe It is a surviving pole from an old junction route as were most poles along this road. But as junctions 'went underground' and houses were built along the road, they were all converted to 'ring' type DPs and finials fitted. Most finials were wooden but I have seen a cast alloy one years ago. They came in three sizes, No 1 was 18" x 9.5" for stout poles, No 2 was 16" x 8.5" for medium poles and the No 3 was 14" x 7.25" for light poles. They were fitted using a 12" mild steel screwed dowel 7/8" I diameter. They were painted grey when issued from the stores.

Somewhere I've got one I recovered from the top of a pole in a local 'recycling' place which sold pole to farmer - surprising what I recovered from poles there over the years. Even found a complete 'Line Connector No 1' in excellent condition - I wonder how many of those have survived?

Mentioning bare wire junction routes above - does anyone know when the last bare wire junction routes were last in use?
Old 17th Dec 2016, 11:12 pm   #46
Nicklyons2
Octode

This fine specimen is still doing good service in the Wakefield area with a similar companion further up the street.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Telephone Pole.jpg
Views:	520
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	134575  
Old 18th Dec 2016, 9:04 am   #47
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

Should we conclude that a proper finial does a better job of protecting the pole than a bit of bent tin, and is therefore worth the investment?
Old 18th Dec 2016, 10:04 am   #48
Pellseinydd
Heptode

Finials were introduced in the 1930's with the introduction of 'ring type DP's and the PBJ dropwire' (the type on eccentric pulleys) for use in residential areas. The galvanised roof gave just as good protection but was used on pole routes.
Old 18th Dec 2016, 2:01 pm   #49
Nicklyons2
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by dseymo1 View Post
Should we conclude that a proper finial does a better job of protecting the pole than a bit of bent tin, and is therefore worth the investment?
Well I would say so BUT, as 'short-termism' is in favour I assume the modern practice would conclude that saving say, £5 a pole, would over rule shortening the life of the pole by half. I can hear the accountants now "it may be £5 a pole to you but 200,000 poles - that's a million quid!"
Old 18th Dec 2016, 4:40 pm   #50
ronbryan
Octode

I have a 16" cast aluminium finial (9" base diameter) which I saved from a 1951 dated pole which was changed a few years ago. The BT man who recovered it for me explained that there was a surplus of aluminium after the war and this presumably caused the switch from turned wood to cast metal.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	16-inch-finial-1_web.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	134608   Click image for larger version

Name:	16-inch-finial-2_web.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	134609   Click image for larger version

Name:	16-inch-finial-3_web.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	134610   Click image for larger version

Name:	16-inch-finial-4_web.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	134611  
Old 18th Dec 2016, 8:43 pm   #51
Herald1360
Dekatron

That's crying out for pole in your garden to top out. You could mount an outside light on it to add a function
.........O..Chris....O
Old 19th Dec 2016, 12:31 am   #52
Jeremy M0RVB
Hexode

You've got me at it now. There are three just like that Wakefield one in the street behind us. Never noticed before.

When I was quite young I remember a GPO training place in Otley where they presumably trained linesmen. There were poles of varying height in a field ranging from full height to just the top bit. I was convinced for quite a few years that this was where they grew telephone poles!
Old 19th Dec 2016, 1:28 pm   #53
AC/HL
Dekatron

Is anyone able to help with this, the reason the thread was reopoened

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthepole View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by echelon View Post
Does anyone on this excellent forum have awareness of any website with indexed pictures and technical details of telegraph/telephone poles?

I am thinking in particular of UK historical types, from their inception right up to the present day.

I'm also looking to learn more about the differing historical types of insulators, metalwork, foot-stands, multiple cross-spars, wood dimensions etc.

Does such an information resource exist? Or do I detect 'number unobtainable'?
As a, belated, follow on I wonder if you can help date these two images from the poles [see file captions for location, © source, etc]. Everything else tells me they are between about 1875 and 1915 as a guess. I'm not sure if the TPAS is a relaiable source of infor or not!
The two files are at
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5...jZVNWdqaGEwaVE
and at
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5...GVTWG5SSDB0MDA
where I shall leave them for a time.
Thanks, Colin
Old 19th Dec 2016, 9:51 pm   #54
space charge
Tetrode

the bicycles in the pictures appear to be fairly modern ie 1940s on .the poles appear to have been stripped and may be just serving a few local subs. you would expect to see some wires between the two poles.
regards pierce ei7ka
Old 20th Dec 2016, 12:26 am   #55
Nicklyons2
Octode

Well I don't know but looking at the poles, the number of circuits on them, the dress of the people, the fact the road has a kerb - then my estimate would be inter-war years. If I had to put money on it 1920-25.
Old 20th Dec 2016, 7:23 pm   #56
Pellseinydd
Heptode

The pub on the left had been demolished by 1939 and its replacement built further back from the road as it now is - according to the 1939 edition (probably surveyed earlier) large scale OS 1:2500 map if that helps?
See https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/555...1516/12/101224 you'll probably have to zoom out.
Old 20th Dec 2016, 11:07 pm   #57
Oldcodger
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by valvecollector View Post
When I was quite young I remember a GPO training place in Otley where they presumably trained linesmen. There were poles of varying height in a field ranging from full height to just the top bit. I was convinced for quite a few years that this was where they grew telephone poles!
Bit O/T, but most TTA/YIT (as I believe they later became known), will remember these short poles in GPO Training schools.
Old 21st Dec 2016, 12:54 am   #58
Tim
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigham View Post
GPO domestic telephone service. They often had turned finials when I was a lad. I used to wonder how big the lathe was to turn them!
At training school we were always told not to grab hold of the finial to pull ones self up, (prior to belting on) as it was likely to come off in your hand!
They are quite big things to come crashing down which is why most of them have now been removed. After being exposed to British weather for 60-70 years most of them are/were quite rotten. One can sometimes see the iron spike that used to support the finial on the top of some very old poles.

Incidentally all telecoms poles SHOULD have a date of preservation. I was up a 1952 one today, still perfectly fine, with two, four insulator arms . There was also a 1938 pole in the route, but I couldn't get up that one as it's test date had expired.