UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Oct 2014, 1:57 pm   #21
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Default Re: Name that set- Halloween Special!

A close up view of those trimmers. Aerial, RF amplifier anode, mixer grid and oscillator.

DFWB.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PhilcoBT8140Trimmers.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	99387  
Old 29th Oct 2014, 8:30 pm   #22
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

That looks to be a very well made unit David. I bet it will be straightforward to get working. Good pedigree of course. John.
Old 29th Oct 2014, 10:13 pm   #23
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Hi John,
There is a mention in the Radio and television servicing books that 8D3/6AM6 pentodes may be fitted in some RF units. I was expecting that the B7G valveholders would be fitted on adaptor plates or would be of a special type made for 3/4" diameter holes. Not so, the metal chassis has 5/8" holes for the 8D3 valveholders. Certainly this RF deck is quite unlike any I have seen on other Plessey Mark 1 chassis.
It would appear that this chassis has been Brimarized. American valve types in a set with an American brand name.
The only Mullard valves are the EL38 line output and the EY51 EHT rectifier.
The frame output valve indicated on the label inside the cabinet is the Brimar 6AG6G although this particular set has the Mullard equivalent, the EL33.

DFWB.
Old 2nd Nov 2014, 10:22 pm   #24
Colourstar
Octode

Well for what it was worth I decided to evict all the gooey caps on the receiver deck to eliminate them from our enquiry, just in case. Look at the state of them! All original, vintage 1950.

Alas a brace of spanking new capacitors has made not a jot of difference and the screen remains resolutely blank, the sound refuses to speak.

Looks like I'll be taking David up on his kind offer to fault find the receiver deck on his bench with the aid of a signal generator.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Philcodeck1.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	99651   Click image for larger version

Name:	Philcodeck2.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	99652  
Old 2nd Nov 2014, 10:39 pm   #25
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Hi Steve,
A nice neat job. Replacing all those gooey waxies will prove to be a worthwhile investment over the long term.
Send the RF chassis up to me when you're ready. I don't think there are too any wires to disconnect between the main chassis and the RF deck.

DFWB.
Closed Thread