UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Dec 2007, 1:01 am   #1
ZudoBug
Diode

Default PAL B/G Modulators with A2 Stereo

Hi,
Does anyone know where I could get one of these in the UK? I believe they do exist on the EU mainland, but they seem to be few and far between

For those that don't know, A2 (also known as Zweiton) is a stereo TV sound system used in Germany and elsewhere. It basically uses two FM carriers, with the second one carrying an inaudible control tone which tells the receiver what type of source is being broadcast (stereo, mono or dual language). Most UK NICAM TV's dating from the last 10 years or so can support it.

Interestingly, a PAL I version of A2 was also developed, and was tested on S4C's network, before the UK decided to adopt NICAM. A fair number of A2 PAL I sets were sold in the UK during the early 80's.
It'd be interesting to find the specs of the UK version, and construct a modulator for use with one of these old sets.
Old 4th Dec 2007, 1:13 am   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: PAL B/G Modulators with A2 Stereo

I know the Netherlands uses Zweiton so that may be a good place to look

Paul
Old 4th Dec 2007, 1:27 pm   #3
John123
Heptode

Our Salora 28K77 is A2 compatible, although it is pretty much a European receiver with a UK plug and pre-dates NICAM by roughly five years (unfortunately )
We did have a 'matching' Sky box in the early nineties which supported stereo audio via the SCART, so that kind of made up for it back then (a Pace NTL box nowadays). I would also be interested in a modulator just to see if it responds to A2 after twenty odd years, and also to feed stereo audio from some of my old games consoles instead of having SCART leads and switching boxes everywhere!

Found this link, but not sure if this modulator is mixing the stereo input into mono.

John
Old 6th Dec 2007, 7:01 am   #4
arjoll
Dekatron

Australia use A2, and Jaycar do a stereo modulator which will almost certainly be A2. Its Australia channel 0/1 which from memory is roughly NZ channel 1/2. BTW NZ uses NICAM on PAL B/G.
Old 7th Dec 2007, 9:20 am   #5
Studio263
Octode

A lot of B&O sets support A2, the (dreadful) MX2000 / M20 for example, some stereo 30AX sets and many of the earlier LX models. The video recorders do too, though fitting the NICAM unit usually involves the removal of the decoder. It all depends on the type number, each model is available in a range of different types to suit the various broadcasting systems. The service manual for each model usually includes a type number survey with this sort of information in.
Closed Thread