UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Nov 2022, 11:44 pm   #21
trobbins
Heptode

Default Re: Valve sorting do you use a dBase or spreadsheet?

I like a one-stop Excel file, with about 20 worksheets for different parts and equipment. Valves get one worksheet, descending in model number/type, then the qty, then the general function, then further details (such as where they are if they are in equipment). Items are cell coloured for functions to make it easier to look at what I have, eg. for say an audio power stage pentode. The first section of rows is for diodes and regulators.

Below that I have specific valve testing or other data. For example, if I restore some equipment that needs say a 5U4 or a 6L6, and I had the time and inclination, then I'd test my stash of that model in the equipment, or sometimes a special jig for just that model, and enter relevant results to allow various assessments. Results could include aspects like the spread of an operating point like anode voltage in a jig (useful for dual triodes), and includes notes such as anode voltage shift with grid shorted to 0V, as they allow a group of valves to be weeded for balance and nominal operation. I add a small adhesive sticker with a reference number to each valve tested, and that model has its own storage bucket for spares. For 5U4/5AS4 I had also added maker and datecode as that helped confirm the datecode setup used by Radiotron. For output stage valves used in push-pull, I can colour code test results to help identify balanced pairs, and then add data on tested pairs to see how balanced they actually are.

So far I batched testing sections for 807, 5AS4, 6GW8, 6BM8, 6L6GC, 6BL8, 6CW5, and EL34.

Similarly useful worksheets for stashes of transformers, chokes and other different parts like BJTs and caps etc, and for test equipment and status of restored equipment. I like test equipment and reference passives, and find the worksheet useful to record cross-comparisons to give some confidence on accuracy of different meters etc, and to pick up drift as the years roll on.

Last edited by trobbins; 11th Nov 2022 at 11:50 pm.
Old 12th Nov 2022, 12:32 am   #22
Tim
Dekatron

Neither. Just an old exercise book ruled in columns.
Old 18th Nov 2022, 3:41 pm   #23
Richardgr
Heptode

I also use a spreadsheet, but Open Office is just as good as Excel, so it does not have to cost anything.

A useful trick (I think!) is to use the Phillips style tube category letter in a column on the sheet. So double triodes are CC, power pentodes L, half wave rectifiers Y, full wave Z, etc. That is a boon for grouping stuff. It is also worth having an 'equivalents' column, since you are bound to have 12AT7 and ECC81 and will have a quandary how to record them.

If you also have a column for base, then you can group by 'type' and 'base' and you have alternatives that can be investigated if they will fit an application. Filament voltage is not so useful since where there is a will there is a way to take an equivalent tube with a different heater voltage. And it discriminates against those worthy TV and serial heater tubes!

Used or New is also useful. I also have a comments line where I paste links from the valve museum, for instance, so I can jump to useful data, or pages on bulletin boards where there are circuits.

Ultimately it would be wonderful (IMO) if there was a resource here to pool the latest versions of our spreadsheets, which could be recording other vintage components too, so that there could be some collaboration and sharing of parts between a consortium of enthusiasts. A 'cyber loft', if you like ;-)
Closed Thread