UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Nov 2022, 1:58 pm   #1
cathoderay57
Nonode

Default Yet Another Roberts R600

Hi folks, I have been gifted a decent looking Roberts R600, newer style. It works on FM but not AM (totally silent). I have checked the obvious things and at the moment I am guessing that the AM oscillator transistor within the Mullard LP1171 IF module is kaputt. I have successfully removed the LP1171 and opened it. It contains 3 x AF114 transistors (albeit their soldering indicates that they have been removed or replaced before). I have ordered 3 x AF124 from Langrex and will replace them then see what happens. The question I have got has been addressed before but I don't think answered definitively: this is, has anybody actually used a 9v wall-wart for one of these (like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154776431163 ) and did it cause background noise/interference? Clearly I could build my own stabilised PSU but it is likely to cost more since I don't have all the bits in my spares box. Jerry
Old 11th Nov 2022, 4:54 pm   #2
simpsons
Octode

Default Re: Yet Another Roberts R600

I would use a linear power supply in preference to a switched mode supply.

That is a transfomer with a regulated output which will not interfere with your am reception or those on other receivers near by.

Such supplies can be sourced new from Radio Spares Part No 139-1769 or second hand Mnf. by other makes on eBay.

On eBay, you may well find that the supplier doesn't tell you how the PSU works but as a rule of thumb, SMPS are physically small and can operate between 110 and 240 whilst transformers are big and only work at 240 volts ac.

Alternatively, ask members if they have one spare or for sale in the thread on this site.

Unfortunately I am unable to help in this instance.

Chris

Last edited by simpsons; 11th Nov 2022 at 5:03 pm.
Old 11th Nov 2022, 6:34 pm   #3
paulsherwin

I've found switchers are generally fine, though it's certainly a lottery if you're going to buy one.

Don't you have the usual banana box full of old wall warts sitting somewhere? Radios like this aren't very fussy. A 6V unregulated linear will probably be fine.
Old 11th Nov 2022, 7:10 pm   #4
cathoderay57
Nonode

Thanks both. My wall wart collection has nothing below 12v. However, eventually I did find a 9v 6VA RS mains transformer, some Si bridge rectifiers and a small aluminium enclosure and so I am in process of knocking up a PSU and will probably use an L7909 -9v regulator. Jerry
Old 11th Nov 2022, 7:26 pm   #5
paulsherwin

You can of course use a 12V wall wart with a separate regulator to adjust the voltage. You could mount the reg inside the R600 if you don't care about keeping it stock.
Old 12th Nov 2022, 7:29 pm   #6
cathoderay57
Nonode

Thanks Paul. My replacement transistors arrived from Langrex today so I launched into the LP1171 IF module. The circuit that I downloaded was of so low a definition that it was more or less illegible and no help. I found Radiocruncher's You Tube videos and from one of those identified the transistor base connections on the LP1171 PCB. For ease of reference for those who have not yet worked it out I have attached an annotated image of the reverse side of the PCB. One of the AF114 transistors had short circuits to case. The other 2 measured OK but rather than put up with the fandangle of opening it up again, I replaced all 3 using the Langrex AF124 devices. I stuck a label on the outside of the module case stating that AF124 replacements had been fitted and the date. To cut a long story short, following reassembly, all 3 bands worked perfectly. Jerry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1080724.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	267954  
Old 12th Nov 2022, 7:41 pm   #7
paulsherwin

It's the old AF11x story I'm afraid.
Old 17th Nov 2022, 12:42 pm   #8
Station X

One post moved to a new thread here:-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=196089

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 17th Nov 2022, 7:20 pm   #9
cathoderay57
Nonode

L7909CV -9.0v regulator arrived today so I'll finish off the homebrew PSU tomorrow and let you know if all works well. If it does, I shan't bother with a wall wart but thanks for the ideas. Jerry
Old 20th Nov 2022, 10:08 am   #10
cathoderay57
Nonode

Homebrew PSU completed and working well. 9-0-9v transformer parallel connected to a bridge rectifier with 2200uF cap produces -15v offload. Rectifier output fed to L7909CV input, with output decoupled by 1uF tantalum cap. Produces -9.2v on load. Works well on all bands, no buzzing. I left the supply leads floating since connecting one side to earth made no difference. Jerry
Old 20th Nov 2022, 11:13 am   #11
simpsons
Octode

Jerry, excellent news.

For the record, I had serious interference on AM when listening to my Roberts
R 606. So bad that even Radio4 LW was drowned out.

Turned out to be my coffee maker. The type where you put a pod into a space made only for one make of pod, a Christmas present favoured by those who bought it for me and only used by them. My nearest and dearest has left it switched on at the mains.

Why it uses a SMPS to run the contraption I'll never know but who ever designed it, suitably modified, it would make a good broad band AM "minipod" transmitter!

Chris
PS Coffee pod - minipod, get the joke? Ah well they say humour doesn't travel!
Old 20th Nov 2022, 11:19 am   #12
PaulDarzi
Tetrode

Location: Near Worcestershire/Gloucestershire border (in WR), UK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathoderay57 View Post
Homebrew PSU completed and working well. 9-0-9v transformer parallel connected to a bridge rectifier with 2200uF cap produces -15v offload. Rectifier output fed to L7909CV input, with output decoupled by 1uF tantalum cap. Produces -9.2v on load. Works well on all bands, no buzzing. I left the supply leads floating since connecting one side to earth made no difference. Jerry
Well done, thanks for the details - all noted for future use
Old 21st Nov 2022, 5:57 pm   #13
Joxtinkerer
Diode

Hi,

I tested this PSU with the following 9V 'wall wart' and I've been using them for a few months now. They work fine with the following models:

R250 Revival
R760
R761
R505
RT22
RFM3
R701

Should work fine with your R600 too and they're 5.99 each

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174511657744

Regards,

Craig.
Old 21st Nov 2022, 10:05 pm   #14
cathoderay57
Nonode

Hi Craig, thanks for the info. I note that the wall wart is unregulated. What does the offload voltage measure at? Cheers, Jerry
Old 22nd Nov 2022, 4:04 pm   #15
Joxtinkerer
Diode

Hi Jerry,

I haven't checked it yet but Paul Darzi has ordered a couple, so either I'll find my multimeter (missing) or I can ask him. I was worried these would introduce a lot of hum as they were unregulated but they work fine.

Regards,

Craig.
Old 22nd Nov 2022, 4:11 pm   #16
paulsherwin

Lack of regulation doesn't lead to hum, it just means that the supply voltage will vary depending on the current being drawn. This is undesirable, but usually acceptable with a typical transistor radio. You just need to ensure that the off load voltage doesn't rise high enough to fry something.
Closed Thread