UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Oct 2022, 6:11 pm   #1
chriswood1900
Octode

Default Antiques Roadshow 23rd Oct

Just spotted tonight Sunday 23rd Oct Roadshow is from Alexander Palace on the 100th Anniversary of the BBC.
Old 23rd Oct 2022, 9:22 pm   #2
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Default Re: Antiques Roadshow 23rd Oct

Available at https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...ars-of-the-bbc.
Old 23rd Oct 2022, 10:59 pm   #3
emeritus
Dekatron

I saw it tonight. Interesting enough. I did note that the clip that was supposed to be of the title from "Hancock's Half Hour", appeared to be one from the ITV series "Hancock" that he made after leaving the BBC.

Last edited by emeritus; 23rd Oct 2022 at 11:00 pm. Reason: typos
Old 24th Oct 2022, 8:14 am   #4
stevehertz
Dekatron

I went watch it at 7pm and it was nowhere to be seen, presumably on at 6pm? I can catch up.
Old 24th Oct 2022, 9:42 am   #5
Dave Moll
Dekatron

It was at 5:45pm on BBC1.

I was interested to note Paul Atterbury (whose mother worked the strings of Andy Pandy) publicly supporting the claim that the character of the puppet was based on him as a small child. He does, after all, like to wear stripy jackets!
Old 24th Oct 2022, 10:12 am   #6
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Tape recorder enthusiasts would have seen the Uher 4200 Report Monitor on the show.

David
Old 24th Oct 2022, 11:56 am   #7
Junk Box Nick
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Moll View Post
It was at 5:45pm on BBC1.

I was interested to note Paul Atterbury (whose mother worked the strings of Andy Pandy) publicly supporting the claim that the character of the puppet was based on him as a small child. He does, after all, like to wear stripy jackets!
I always enjoyed Des O’Connor’s send ups of Andy Pandy.

And Bill & Ben paved the way for today’s radio interviews via Zoom, etc.
Old 24th Oct 2022, 12:35 pm   #8
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeritus View Post
I saw it tonight. Interesting enough. I did note that the clip that was supposed to be of the title from "Hancock's Half Hour", appeared to be one from the ITV series "Hancock" that he made after leaving the BBC.
No, the last six shows Hancock made for the BBC were simply titled "Hancock", rather than "Hancock's Half Hour". Hancock felt that the Astrakhan collar and partnership with Sid James had run their course, hence the change of costume and re-location from East Cheam to Earl's Court. The extracts shown are from "The Blood Donor", one of the final six BBC shows.
Old 24th Oct 2022, 1:02 pm   #9
Vintage Engr
Heptode

I was particularly amused, one of the people being asked a question about the start of colour TV in the U.K.
This was to do with the fact that some of the colour & detail on props wasn't that good, so did they receive any complaints.

The answer given was that as most viewers were watching on 9 - inch sets they wouldn't notice!
I'm sure it was just a slip, should have been 19 - inch. I was installing them & I think I would have noticed such a small set, whereas I was lugging Bush/Murphy CTV 25's up block of flats in the East-end of London.

Overall an interesting programme though.

David.
Old 25th Oct 2022, 12:17 am   #10
emeritus
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Kendall View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by emeritus View Post
No, the last six shows Hancock made for the BBC were simply titled "Hancock", rather than "Hancock's Half Hour". Hancock felt that the Astrakhan collar and partnership with Sid James had run their course, hence the change of costume and re-location from East Cheam to Earl's Court. The extracts shown are from "The Blood Donor", one of the final six BBC shows.
Thanks for correcting my imperfect recollection!
Old 25th Oct 2022, 12:21 am   #11
McMurdo
Dekatron

I've just watched it on iplayer - in two sittings as iplayer crashed half way through and I had to relocate to the kitchen TV.
The inaccuracy of the facts was bizarre, as was the section on Coronation Street, which as we all know is a very ITV thing.
Old 25th Oct 2022, 2:09 pm   #12
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Well yes it's a bit hard to know what the BBC thinks in many respects The "celebration" seems rather patchy to me. We might have expected better from the Road Show and a more central transmission slot given the occasion! The Strictly Come Dancing [of course I don't like it] tribute was in it's usual place [Saturday 6-40pm] but seemed very strange to me. The Victoria Wood routine was more like Laurel and Hardy! Including Victoria Derbyshire there are two BBC female famous former Bury residents, Les Dawson would be another [re his impersonations].

Even the most promising item on Saturday "How the BBC Began" [1/2] was shown at 7pm [not 9]. The "Churchill on TV" section at the end was particularly fascinating. Mostly it all seems to be propped up by episodes from classic programs and compilations on BBC4, as with the Morecambe and Wise Christmas Show! If you weren't impressed by "Strictly's" Victoria Wood "Let's Do It" the real thing was on later via BBC4 "As Seen On TV" at 10-30pm. Sundays Classics were Hancock [12 Angry Men] The Young Ones [University Challenge] "Bambi" and "Divided We Stand" the iconic Steptoe episode where they divide the house in half, including the TV but only one person has the controls to hand. A forerunner to future disputes over who has the "remote" perhaps? Last night was all the usual suspects but with Alan Yentob interviewing Stephen Fry right in in the middle . It was very interesting and recorded in May [this year]. Usually that would be on BBC2 or BBC1 .
Nothing to excite me on BBC4 tonight.

There's "The Battle of the Brows" Radio 4 [Archive on Four Sat 22/10] and Prime Minister Hancock [a-recorded version] at 6-30pm today. Very appropriate as we've just got another one of those and Hancock was always seeking to be an intellectual.

Dave W

Last edited by dave walsh; 25th Oct 2022 at 2:27 pm.
Old 25th Oct 2022, 2:14 pm   #13
yesnaby
Octode

Old 25th Oct 2022, 7:11 pm   #14
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

You must have seen my first post with the runaway asterisk that alarmingly fills the screen Yesnaby. The asterisk/8 key sticks from time to time! Usually easily resolved but a major "aster attack" on this occasion. It's like a runaway horse as I try to intervene without losing all the text. Fortunately I saw it and briefly posted the whole thing to bring it to a temporary halt.

Anything to say about the [strangely low key] Beeb Centenary? It as if they didn't really want to know!

Dave

Last edited by dave walsh; 25th Oct 2022 at 7:20 pm.
Old 25th Oct 2022, 11:44 pm   #15
retailer
Heptode

If you're outside the UK then it can be seen here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPjuX80lbFA - it seems the BBC iplayer only works in the UK
Old 26th Oct 2022, 10:28 am   #16
emeritus
Dekatron

Almost certainly due to copyright issues. Lots of the BBC's programmes are now made by independent producers and the BBC will sometimes only be licenced to use them for broadcasting in the UK. I remember a radio programme where listener from outside the UK had asked why some Radio 4 programmes were not available on the Radio 4 internet radio service and this was the reason given.
Old 26th Oct 2022, 10:49 am   #17
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Also, UK users of iPlayer have to confirm that they have a valid UK TV licence.
Old 10th Nov 2022, 12:24 pm   #18
cathy_vintage
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by retailer View Post
If you're outside the UK then it can be seen here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPjuX80lbFA - it seems the BBC iplayer only works in the UK
Can you set your VPN (if you have one ) to London UK and watch BBC iPlayer?

I know my husband does this to view Yahoo.jp auctions by setting his VPN to Tokyo as Yahoo Japan is no longer accessible in the UK.
Closed Thread