UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Jul 2008, 12:03 pm   #1
camtechman
Nonode

Default "Top Flight" - Boy's Radio Success - Beyond Expectation!

Not that one should expect too much from one of these types of radio, being only two transistors!

I got this little beauty a few weeks back, bought as a non worker and after retouching the solder joints...surprise, surprise it came back to life.

Although the performance wasn't up to much (I knew it wouldn't be Hi-Fi and even Lo-Fi would be aiming too high) but after switching it off and returning to it a couple of hours later, it had stopped working again.

To cut a long story short, it did this several times and it was TR1 (2SA100) that was causing the problem and which finally gave up the ghost.

2SA100's and the like were still available but not worth the price, vis-a vis the price I paid for the radio etc & so I dug around in my transistor stock and using my trusty TITS book (Towers International Transistor Selector) and from the limited range of stock vintage transistors I had, an AF106 looked a possible candidate.

For some reason I had 10 of these AF106s, which had never been used and found 1 from the 10 that gave outstanding readings.

Removed the 2SA100 and popped in the AF106 (the screen lead left unconnected) and the radio burst back to life with increased sensitivity & selectivity and I was going to leave it there but, being a tinkerer, I couldn't resist exploring if the AF could be improved.

The original AF tranny (TR2) was an OC76 and the TITS book suggested an AC128, so I found one from my stock of 20 that showed very good readings on the Tranny Tester...... popped this in and voila!!!, the AF output produced about double the previous level.

Final bit of tinkering had me replacing the original 1S80 diode (could not find anything about it) with an OA91 and now my 'expectations' of this little radio have been surpassed & exceeded (to use current business jargon!).

To sum up....."I'm Right Chuffed"!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tran.JPG
Views:	195
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	18232   Click image for larger version

Name:	Top Flight-Boy's Radio Inside.JPG
Views:	216
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	18233  
Old 2nd Jul 2008, 12:47 pm   #2
Steve_P
Dekatron

Default Re: "Top Flight" - Boy's Radio Success - Beyond Expectation!

So that's what a TITS book is....

Interesting combination of Transistors. 2SA100 is a Japanese device, OC76 is British. What's the battery life like now?

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 2nd Jul 2008, 1:00 pm   #3
camtechman
Nonode

Quiescent: 10.8 mA.
Old 2nd Jul 2008, 1:11 pm   #4
Sideband
Dekatron

I remember playing around with one of these at school back in the 60's. It was never very sensitive but did bring in the football results on R4 (sorry Home Service) back in those days.

I suspect these were made down to a price as they were only classed as toys (to avoid import duty I think) so probably any transistor that worked was used. It's possible that the OC76 was a replacement at some time because I'm sure that all the ones I saw had Japanese types fitted and I think it was 2SA100 (RF) and 2SB56 (AF). Any of these still in existance could probably be improved by fitting better transistors.

Good job on the restoration

Rich.
Old 2nd Jul 2008, 1:30 pm   #5
camtechman
Nonode

Here's the circuit diagram, pasted in the back of the actual radio:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Imgp6646.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	18235  
Old 2nd Jul 2008, 7:58 pm   #6
howard
Nonode

Well done Tony

These Japanese 'boys radios' are becoming very collectable in the USA and they were exported to the USA as 'toys' to avoid a large import tax that US customs imposed on Japanese radios. Amazing that these things work so well with just two transistors ....

Howard
Old 2nd Jul 2008, 10:21 pm   #7
kalee20
Dekatron

Thanks for putting the circuit up. I see it's reflexed. with the first transistor working at RF then AF.

As Howard says, amazing that these things work so well with just two transistors... these days we really are spoiled! Transistors at pence each (and even less if you are designing an IC), there's just no incentive to minimalist design any more.

Well done camtechman for latching onto this little radio!
Old 3rd Jul 2008, 9:19 am   #8
camtechman
Nonode

kalee20,

The circuit diagram that's provided with this radio (as per my thumbnail pic) seems to be an early generation one and I've seen the same circuit produced by other owners of similar radios.

The actual circuit of the radio differs from that of the diagram, probably improvements or was changed to suit particular semiconductor use/availability.

I shall provide a 'new' diagram shortly.

Tony
Old 3rd Jul 2008, 9:47 am   #9
camtechman
Nonode

OK,

Here's a new thumbnail marked-up to show the areas of difference from the original diagram provided and the actual circuit of the radio.

#1: Instead of the emitter from TR1 being taken directly to positive, there is now an 820R resistor & a 32uF 6.3V electrolytic (see second thumbnail)

#2: This link does not exist.

#3: An additional link is made from the o/p side.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Copy of Boy's Radio Dia.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	18263   Click image for larger version

Name:	TR1 Mod.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	5.7 KB
ID:	18264  
Old 4th Jul 2008, 8:06 am   #10
itactics
Retired Dormant Member

I have one of those Top Flight boys radios, they are nifty little things! A photo of that particular radio features prominently in the book 'Transistor Radios 1954 - 1968' by Norman SMITH. You did a great job brining it back to life! Boys radios have a very interesting history and as Howard says they are becoming very collectible, even in New Zealand I have a section dedicated to Boys Radios on my site but I haven't got around to listing my Top Flight yet, but I will! One thing I've always wondered about that radio is what does a lion have to do with flight??! I guess if you are running away from one then you might gain some velocity....!
Old 4th Jul 2008, 8:31 am   #11
camtechman
Nonode

Hi itactics,

When I first got the Top Flight I did a search on the web to gather information and your website was one I visited and, thanks to your page on the Coronet, I was able to further my knowledge on this range of Boy's Radios.....Cheers!

One thing my Top Flight did NOT have was a window to view the volume control scale through.

When I say it did not have a window, I mean that the 'window' was there but the transparent part had not been left clear, it was still blacked out and the volume control's knob did not have the 'increase scale & off dot' painted in. Probably to reduce the production cost of the radio even further or it may have been a production error.

I've now cleared the viewing window and filled in the volume control with paint.
Old 4th Jul 2008, 11:06 am   #12
camtechman
Nonode

itacticts,

A further question about Boy's Radios......

Have you been able to fully close the case on your Coronet or Top Flight when a modern PP3 (metal jacket) battery is fitted?

See my other thread on this problem:
https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=29469
Old 5th Jul 2008, 7:21 am   #13
itactics
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by camtechman View Post
When I first got the Top Flight I did a search on the web to gather information and your website was one I visited and, thanks to your page on the Coronet, I was able to further my knowledge on this range of Boy's Radios.....Cheers!

One thing my Top Flight did NOT have was a window to view the volume control scale through.

When I say it did not have a window, I mean that the 'window' was there but the transparent part had not been left clear, it was still blacked out and the volume control's knob did not have the 'increase scale & off dot' painted in.
Hi Camtechman,

I'm glad I could be of service My Top Flight does have a clear volume knob unlike yours, but it is thought that these radios were made at different factories with different production procedures and associated inconsistencies so that could explain why your volume window was blacked out.

My one uses a couple of Mitsubishi transistors.

Regarding your question as to whether I can shut the case with a modern 9V battery inserted well I can - almost! It does shut but there is about a 3 mm gap at the top. When I compared a new 9v with one of my old ones there was very little difference in size, just a few mm's and the new batteries are squarer.

Cheers

-james-
Old 5th Jul 2008, 8:58 am   #14
camtechman
Nonode

Thanks James,

All info about this type of radio helps build up my knowledge.

Cheers,

Tony
Old 5th Jul 2008, 11:49 am   #15
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

The Moderators feel post #14 above brings this thread, which is lengthy enough for Success Stories, to a suitable conclusion and is thus now closed. We are currently considering the possibility of a thread split to seperate the general discussion posts into a new thread of their own.
Closed Thread