UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Feb 2020, 11:53 pm   #1
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Default Dodgy? AD28 batteries

This thread https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=157218 from last year highlighted the fact that AD28 (3R25) 4.5 volt batteries seemed to have disappeared from the market, with most suppliers listing them stating "out of stock".

Quite coincidentally, I switched on my Ultra Transistor 101 this evening and was rewarded by a typical "flat battery" sound. Annoyingly, I didn't keep a note of when or from whom these batteries were bought, but I guess it must have been 3-4 years ago. The radio gets little use, apart from an occasional switch-on to test it. It could be three months since I last tried it.

Anyway, a quick check showed that one of the AD28s was still full of life, but the other was virtually dead flat. A look inside the duff battery revealed that two of the three F cells were heavily corroded. The third, oddly, looked and tested fine. Luckily, the corrosion had been contained within the plastic sleeving surrounding each cell, and no damage was caused to the cardboard case of the battery.

I re-stuffed the AD28 with three cells scavenged from a Duracell PJ-996 style lantern battery. I fully expected this to contain four F-cells, but was surprised to find four D-cells of rather unusual design. These didn't have solder tags, but a hot 90 watt iron made short work of soldering direct to the cases. Despite the 2018 date on them, they test perfect, so in they went, and the Ultra is sounding fine once more.

Moral - if you have an AD28 battery, look after it as you'll probably need to re-stuff the case sooner or later.

Phil
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B8C4741B-AB4D-49EC-BB47-AFAF51CA7C93.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	199547   Click image for larger version

Name:	573C6267-CD51-4993-9676-C5B89F7573CB.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	199548   Click image for larger version

Name:	AD28 pic.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	199549  

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts

Last edited by Phil G4SPZ; 23rd Feb 2020 at 12:00 am. Reason: Layout, images added
Old 23rd Feb 2020, 12:44 am   #2
Julesomega
Nonode

Default Re: Dodgy? AD28 batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G4SPZ View Post
Moral - if you have an AD28 battery, look after it as you'll probably need to re-stuff the case sooner or later.
..or a bicycle lamp

It's good here
Closed Thread