UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Jan 2020, 11:29 am   #1
romakuz
Diode

Default What kind of unusual antique square metal electric meter is this?

Dear experts.

I have this meter that is extremely heavy. It looks like it is made of cast iron. It has two windows. The front window does not have anything, but you can see the pointer inside moving. When I flip it, I can see the scale to 20. I could not decipher what it says in terms of the name, except 20V. It has four feet on the back, which means the device can be placed in a horizontal position. What an unusual thing. Any ideas?

Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	196782   Click image for larger version

Name:	02.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	196783   Click image for larger version

Name:	03.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	196784   Click image for larger version

Name:	04.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	196785   Click image for larger version

Name:	05.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	196786  

Old 9th Jan 2020, 12:18 pm   #2
Argus25
No Longer a Member

Default Re: What kind of unusual antique square metal electric meter is this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by romakuz View Post
Dear experts.

I have this meter that is extremely heavy. It looks like it is made of cast iron. It has two windows. The front window does not have anything, but you can see the pointer inside moving. When I flip it, I can see the scale to 20. I could not decipher what it says in terms of the name, except 20V. It has four feet on the back, which means the device can be placed in a horizontal position. What an unusual thing. Any ideas?

Thank you!
Well the mid scale is just over 10V , so likely its a meter for measuring 12V DC systems, in other words some sort of early automotive application volt meter but I could be wrong of course, it is just a guess. It is probably 1920's/30's vintage.

Though, it is interesting what you can deduce from a meter's face.

For example, when alternators replaced dynamos in cars, they got rid of the amp meter that was customary for decades that often had a -30 - 0 to +30 Amp scale. They replaced it with a volt meter with a center marking of 13V. The reason for this was that 13V is the "charge neutral voltage" where a well charged battery in a car neither absorbs or delivers significant charge to the system. So if the voltage climbed above this value you knew the battery was likely charging, and below that value, probably discharging.

Until, of course, idiot lights largely replaced the meters, or the scientific units disappeared from the meter faces, to become colors like red=bad & green=good, like you see on a lot of valve testers.
Old 9th Jan 2020, 12:31 pm   #3
Hartley118
Nonode

The clue is in the second photo. This is an interesting example of the Robert Paul Unipivot galvanometer. Robert Paul was an electrical instrument pioneer in the early 20th century, based in Hatton Garden, London. His business was later acquired by the Cambridge Instrument Company. More info on the IET website at https://www.theiet.org/publishing/li...aul-1869-1943/

You've got a nice museum piece - an example of early electrical industry history.

Martin
Old 9th Jan 2020, 1:39 pm   #4
Silicon
Nonode

The double sided scale may suggest an educational use.
Old 9th Jan 2020, 6:23 pm   #5
romakuz
Diode

Wow! Hartley118, you are right. Unipivot! I was thinking about the signage and did not recognize such a word at all! Thank you so much. I guess here in British Columbia we have many meters and gauges made in the UK

Education use? I got it. Yes, you are also right. Actually, I want to say BIG THANK YOU to everybody who wanted to participate in identifying this piece!!! What an amazing job!!!
Old 10th Jan 2020, 7:53 am   #6
romakuz
Diode

Does anybody know the value of this galvanometer? Since I do not collect such electric devices, I am thinking of placing it for sale somewhere.
Old 10th Jan 2020, 1:13 pm   #7
Hartley118
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by romakuz View Post
Does anybody know the value of this galvanometer? Since I do not collect such electric devices, I am thinking of placing it for sale somewhere.
Sadly, despite the precision work in its construction, and its rarity, I wouldn't expect it to sell for much more than £10 to £30.

Prices in completed auctions on eBay can be a guide. 'Buy it now' prices are often a triumph of optimism over reality.

As an example, here's a rather more comprehensive nice clean Paul galvanometer with a 'Buy it now' price of £45

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Vintage-Robe...UAAOSwfvtcSGcv

Best of luck in selling it.

Martin