UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Aug 2019, 4:15 pm   #1
promoter2000
Triode

Default Tuner Technics ST GT 550/650 has supercapacitors?

Hello everyone. Please can someone who knows these two Technics tuners tell me if they have supercapacitors to store memories without an electrical supply? If they mount them where are they and what value do they have? Thank you all.
Old 23rd Aug 2019, 5:19 pm   #2
Jonster
Heptode

Default Re: Tuner Technics ST GT 550/650 has supercapacitors?

Yes I think they have got a supercapacitor rather than a backup battery. From memory it is near the front of the right hand side of the unit. I had one apart a while back to fit it onto a 19" rack tray and remember seeing it.
Old 23rd Aug 2019, 5:59 pm   #3
promoter2000
Triode

Thanks for the reply. I publish a photo of the interior: is it one of those circulated in yellow or blue? Remember the value in UF?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Inkedst-gt650-1-technics_LI.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	188793  
Old 23rd Aug 2019, 7:56 pm   #4
mhennessy
Dekatron

If there is one, I haven't found it in the service manual. I could take the lid off mine if necessary, but I'd expect it to live on the front panel PCB where the microcontroller is located, so it might not be visible if just the top panel is removed....

But I don't quite understand the question: presumably the OP doesn't have the unit in front of them yet? If so, are they hoping for a simple fix based on a fault description? It certainly isn't any of those on the main PCB in post #3.
Old 24th Aug 2019, 5:38 am   #5
promoter2000
Triode

Well, it's finally a little clearer to me (this research is driving me crazy ). In fact, I also found nothing in the service manual that was soldered to the main PCB. Perhaps Matsushita has chosen another way to temporarily preserve the preselections. Thanks for the help mhennessy.
Old 24th Aug 2019, 8:40 am   #6
phut bang
Triode

well i dont recognise this chassis but if its like technics other tuners i recall the value being around 3 farad yes thats right 3 farad not uf and about 3 volts even when they were oozing all their insides out they still can cause a big spark using soldering iron and i think they were supposed to be chopped out but you wont be able to get cutters in between cap and pcb i used to waggle them to and fro until they snapped if you still cant do that it is the soldering iron watch out though for the cap discharging very entertaining BANG!
Old 24th Aug 2019, 10:20 am   #7
promoter2000
Triode

Indeed. For example, in the ST-G7 model there are two 3.3 F / 2.3 V supercapacitors (placed side by side to each other) which, before being touched, should be unloaded with a 100 ohm resistor so as not to cause fireworks. . But in the two little brothers GT 550/650 it seems there are none
Closed Thread