UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Jul 2011, 1:27 pm   #81
neon indicator
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Rebuilt MW22-7 Tube in Bush TV1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipp1968 View Post
Maybe he means at no cost except the post and insurance ?
My pre war tube is to go there soon , so Im hoping that will run smoothly !!!
I thought that's what he meant.

I still have a vague memory from megalithic era that certain operating condition can affect phosphor secondary emissions. Since the phosphor is supposed NOT to be a mix it would not hurt to re-check all electrode voltages and currents, taking into account any loading due to meter.

It's also possible for organic contamination I think to cause something like this.
Old 16th Jul 2011, 2:18 pm   #82
geoff999
Rest in Peace

While these remoter possibilities are being considered I presume there is no doubt that the tube exhibiting these phenomena is the one overhauled by RACS.

Last edited by geoff999; 16th Jul 2011 at 2:19 pm. Reason: Typo
Old 16th Jul 2011, 2:30 pm   #83
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Secondary emission will not cause an afterglow as observed with this tube. The effect can be seen as demonstrated by shining a torch at the screen face without any voltages applied to the tube. Secondary emission produces a halation of the main raster that can be seen as a duplicate raster but at a much lower intensity. It does not have the 'drag' factor and is exactly the same colour as the screen phosphor. It is very rare and I last observed it with a 14" Samsung colour tube but that is a different story. Hope you get the tube sorted, I'm sure you will. Regards, John.
Old 16th Jul 2011, 3:36 pm   #84
FRANK.C
Heptode

neon
I spent months insuring that all voltages around the tube were OK. Even going to the lengths of rewinding the overwind on the LOPT because it was about 1 kV too low. RACS is a highly respected company and I needed to be absolutely sure that every thing else was OK before I would even consider that there may be a problem with the tube.
I didn't know then what I know about tubes, I have learnt a lot along the way and still have a lot to learn.

Geoff999
This tube is totally unique it is a Mullard MW31/74 tube that I got fitted with a Mazda CRM123 type gun. There is no other one like it in the world. It is not possible to mistake it for another tube.

Frank

Last edited by FRANK.C; 16th Jul 2011 at 3:37 pm. Reason: typo
Old 17th Jul 2011, 11:50 am   #85
jhalphen
Hexode

Good day Gentlemen,

Yes you are 100% correct - and a big typo on my part (serves me right for answering Mails too fast and not proof-reading before getting up at 5AM to go to London yesterday).

Read of course: if Frank so wishes, his unique CRT will be entirely rebuilt again for FREE except for shipping & insurance cost.

The delay in reply was caused by RACS having to sift through the paperwork to review the details of Frank's tube when it was at the processing plant 2 years ago. They found nothing unusual, P4 phosphor used was the usual supplier's standard mix and the QC post-rebuild tests which include generating a raster + video content display was A-OK.

So this begs for the following question: can phosphors "go sour" i.e. be normal after rebuild and transform into some weird P7 type 2 years later? - they do not know, never seen "that" before in 35 years of B&W CRT phosphor recoating.

The UK company supplying the phosphor mix was PTL - Phosphor Technology Ltd, Norton Park, Norton Road, Stevenage, Hertfordshire SG1-2BB.

http://www.phosphor-technology.com/

OT:
You have a big BVWS meeting on Nov 6th in London, i intend to come over for a couple of days and get to meet some of the friendly people here whom i only know via Mail & phone chats.

Best Regards

jhalphen
Paris/France

Last edited by jhalphen; 17th Jul 2011 at 12:09 pm. Reason: Corrective info supplied
Old 17th Jul 2011, 11:58 am   #86
radioredcat
Hexode

Hi Jerome the link works ok for me so the company looks like it's still in business.

Andy
Old 17th Jul 2011, 12:07 pm   #87
jhalphen
Hexode

Hello Radioredcat,

yes, works for me also. Server was probably down when i tested on friday morning.

Case closed.

Thanks!

JH/Paris
Old 17th Jul 2011, 12:24 pm   #88
Panrock
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhalphen View Post
You have a big BVWS meeting on Nov 6th in London, i intend to come over for a couple of days and get to meet some of the friendly people here whom i only know via Mail & phone chats.
I shall be there Jerome, so I too look forward to meeting you then! Also, thank you for your PM, to which I have replied.

Steve
Old 17th Jul 2011, 2:17 pm   #89
FRANK.C
Heptode

Hi Jerome
Thanks for clearing that up. I would be delighted to take RACS up on there offer, it is better than I could have hoped for.
I am happy that RACS will get an opportunity to inspect the tube, as seeing it up close may shed more light on what happened. It is practically impossible to diagnose a problem at long distance.

Frank
Old 17th Jul 2011, 2:27 pm   #90
jhalphen
Hexode

Hi Frank,

indeed, when i asked them if higher resolution re-shots of your two YouTube clips would help IDying the problem, the answer was no.

I suspect they might scrape a sample of your P4 before rebuild and have a chemical analysis done to understand what happened.

Please inform me & RACS when you intend to ship your CRT as they are closed for annual holidays in august. You can ship from august 20 onwards as the factory will be manned in preparation for the 2011-2012 season.

Quiz: if anyone looked at the CRT Phosphor section of the mixes offered by PTL, i can't locate the P4 mix - anyone less of a nitwit like me:

http://www.phosphor-technology.com/

Best Regards

jhalphen
Paris/France
Old 17th Jul 2011, 5:18 pm   #91
Maarten
Dekatron

I'm sure you're not a nitwit, or I'd be one as well (which off course is fully possible). The closest phosphor I can find on that site is P45-WB, a rare earth white phosphor. Probably quite useable but not the same as P4.
Old 17th Jul 2011, 7:18 pm   #92
FRANK.C
Heptode

Hi Jerome
I will get the CRT packaged for shipping in the next day or two and will PM you then.

Frank
Old 25th Jul 2011, 10:47 pm   #93
FRANK.C
Heptode

Just a quick update.
I shipped the tube on Wednesday last, and it was delivered today to RACS, hopefully in one piece.

Frank
Old 7th Aug 2011, 4:55 pm   #94
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

Mathewhouse came yesterday and we had a look at the Bush.
The eht was tested to 4 so a bit low. also there has been a crackling noise with horizontal sparking across the picture lately when the set is cold .It goes away when warm.But is a bit worrying`Fortunately the font of the cabinet is removable so we removed the tube and Matty had a look at the EHT cap .which was redundant , but after some dismantling of the inner front panel which was also possible in situ we found that there were modern replacement hidden .He tested the resisters in series in that area and one was completely open! so this was replaced .The others were spot on. After replacing the tube the picture appears to be slightly brighter and the EHT is up to 4.5 as it is supposed to be .The brown spot is still visible .
Other than the slight fold-over ,the apparent faults still there are a whistle wind noise on the sound that fluctuates on it own and with the use of controls .When quiet this is acceptable for now , but it has been quite loud in recent past.We checked the sound section and one of the red coated valves needed it screening wire replaced as it was corroded, but it made no difference .The noise could be made to fluctuate if the top cap screen wire on this first valve was pushed with a pen. The sparking when cold is still there which is worrying , and the picture curves inwards a bit at the top corners which isn't noticeable except on text.
here are some pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00140.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	54823   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00134.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	54824   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00136.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	54825   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00132.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	54826  
Old 7th Aug 2011, 5:08 pm   #95
murphyv310
Dekatron

The fold over may just be down to the design of the set but also could be that the flyback time is slightly too long due to a fault. It may be an idea to check everything in the line timebase.
Old 7th Aug 2011, 5:27 pm   #96
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

I think the fold-over is the only thing we know what the problem is .I believe the fact it has the wrong lopt. which was replaced sometime in its early life , a non standard part .The original was in two parts .The smaller winding is still in situ. I hope the crackling when cold isnt the replacement giving up !
Old 7th Aug 2011, 5:48 pm   #97
murphyv310
Dekatron

Try taking the back off and having a look in darkness if there is any little sparks or flashovers
Old 7th Aug 2011, 6:20 pm   #98
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

I will have to try that next, when its cold . We thought we could hear snik noises but by that point it stopped doing it . I have been running this set the last 2 hours so another day.
Old 8th Aug 2011, 3:22 pm   #99
Panrock
Nonode

A quick note for chipp1968 and jhalphen. I'm now expecting to visit RACS on 13 September. I'll be going by air - there and back in a day! I'll be travelling with a customer, but will also be taking your Emiscope 3/3 tube along for refurbishment, Chipp.

Steve
Old 8th Aug 2011, 11:07 pm   #100
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

Hopefully all will run smoothly and we get a decent working example ! cant wait !
Closed Thread