UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Jun 2005, 10:16 am   #1
wetagogo
Retired Dormant Member

Default NAD 3140 Amp info.

I have just bought this NAD 3140 integrated amp and know nothing about it at all. In fact, I know nothing about hi fi at all, but I love well-reproduced music (jazz, classical, really old blues and other American "roots" music, and lots more besides), so I want to start learning.

I've searched around on the 'net and found references to a legendary NAD 3020 and a few others. They all seem to be well thought of, but nothing about this one, even specifications - and I don't even know how many watts output it has!

If anyone can tell me what all the buttons do I'd be most grateful. What, for example, does the "S.L.C." button on the back of the amp do?

Anything else, including your opinion of this machine, and recommendations for componants that match it, would be great (especially budget stuff - my budget is meagre at best!)

Thanx.
Old 15th Jun 2005, 10:57 am   #2
Gavtech
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: NAD 3140 Amp - I know nothing, nothing!

I found this posted on another forum:
Posted on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 09:40 pm:
SLC stands for Speaker Lead Compensator, a circuit designed to do just what it says: compensate for signal degradation over long lengths of speaker cable. If my memory serves me correctly, NAD consider long lenths to be more than 10 meters, and also that the cable was of pretty low quality. I don't use the button myself. I could hear no difference with my average standard cables of 5-8 metres.
You can see this at Nad Forum

I saw elswhere that it was quoted as 80 Watts but there was no qualification for that figure. [ RMS , Total etc]

If you put NAD 3140 into Google you will find lots of links and reviews.
Try 'Nad 3140 Specification' also.

Regards

Gavin
Old 15th Jun 2005, 11:39 am   #3
paulsherwin

Default Re: NAD 3140 Amp - I know nothing, nothing!

It was quite a popular amp in it's day, I think 2 models above the 3020. If it's in good condition and working properly it should be an excellent amplifier.

Best regards, Paul
Closed Thread