UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Apr 2019, 10:53 pm   #1
vintage_8bit
Heptode

Default Speaker bag on Ekco A28

Having almost finished restoration of an Ekco A28. I removed the dust bag / speaker shroud to clean. Unfortunately it needs replacing as it is now too weak and started to tear on re-fitting. It looks like a thin black cotton. Any ideas on a suitable replacement. Muslin or similar? I want to keep radio original looking, but as the speaker has an open spider I think it should have a bag anyway.
Old 2nd Apr 2019, 11:15 pm   #2
Paul JD
Pentode

Default Re: Speaker bag on Ekco A28

Any lightweight cotton type material should do, I recently replaced one with a cotton drawstring bag that I bought quite cheaply from eBay and that seemed to work quite well.
Old 3rd Apr 2019, 12:09 am   #3
Stylo N M
Heptode

A long time ago i made a bag out of an old thin black coloured T shirt.

I drew arround a larg circular dinner plate, and gathered the edges together with a long thin black boot lace (with mums help)

Paul
Old 3rd Apr 2019, 7:00 am   #4
vintage_8bit
Heptode

Thank you for that idea, I hadn't thought of a pre-made one. I see they also do them in black. The original is quite thin material, I suppose to avoid muffling the sound and it must of been cheaper.
Old 3rd Apr 2019, 10:14 am   #5
Mike. Watterson
Heptode

Pillowcase
Old 3rd Apr 2019, 11:19 am   #6
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

I had an old well warn black tee shirt, no more!
Old 3rd Apr 2019, 12:54 pm   #7
vintage_8bit
Heptode

Thanks for all the suggestions.
I have just had a look at a scarf that one of my work chums has and the material looks exactly the same apart from the colour. Unfortunately she wouldent let me cut off a couple of foot, not an unreasonable request I thought! This at least might be another source of cloth. I have ordered a black draw string bag as well, under £2 with p & p to evaluate.
Old 6th Apr 2019, 10:50 am   #8
vintage_8bit
Heptode

I looked at my old T shirts and pillow cases but I felt they all seemed too thick or wrong colour. The bag I ordered was again on the thick side.
I did find some identical material sold as cheesecloth which was white. Buying dye as well though was as much as buying some black "Muslin (Cheesecloth)", as it was marketed from ebay. I had already obtained a sample of that so have now ordered this. This cloth is indistinguishable from the original. So I just need to remind myself how to use the sawing machine.
I know I could have used almost any thing to cover the speaker but having spent so much time making sure the chassis looked original I couldent leave the speaker bag not looking original.
Closed Thread