UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Apr 2019, 6:09 pm   #1
vinrads
Dekatron

Default Philips 580a volume up and down!

This is my latest project, I have been after on of these for a while, I have the set working by re stuffing both the wet electrolytic capacitors, replaced all the paper capacitors all were leaky however I noticed that the volume was going up and down, the fault turned out to be the IF trimmer capacitors leaky, one was waving a flag it was smoking, I have found two capacitors ex equipment, so I have posted in the wants section wanting two 140pf capacitors or near capacitance, Mick.
Old 4th Apr 2019, 6:58 pm   #2
PJL
Dekatron

Default Re: Philips 580a volume up and down!

I restored the 588A upright version and had the exact same problem only worse. I ended up drilling out the rivets, cleaning all parts, and replacing the rivets with a small nut and bolt with an insulating sleeve cut from some tubing. Started off just doing the IF but an attempt to align the set revealed the RF ones would benefit from the fix too. The final performance was remarkably good and better than most of the period.
Old 4th Apr 2019, 8:11 pm   #3
vinrads
Dekatron

That's a good idea I will investigate tomorrow, maybe that's the way to go, thanks for that, Mick.
Old 5th Apr 2019, 11:55 am   #4
PJL
Dekatron

Philips tried every possible solution for trimmers. Early sets used a rod, later have wound wire that can only be adjusted to a smaller value, these ones that fail, and finally beehive trimmers. Any used part will no doubt suffer the same fault.
Closed Thread