UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Jan 2019, 8:09 pm   #1
Nancymay
Retired Dormant Member

Default Transcriptor Skeleton

Hi, i posted here a while ago regarding my late father's hifi setup. You were incredibly helpful (and sympathetic) to me so I am back for further advice if that's allowed?

Dad had a Transcriptor Skeleton which he bought directly from the factory in Ireland in 1977. I even have a signed letter from David Gammon to dad apologising for the delay in sending the turntable because they were so popular. It has been in the loft for a while now as I was very emotionally attached to it.
I think it is time for it to go to someone who will love it as much as he did. My question is should I sell it to a business or should I try and sell it privately? One of my concerns is transporting it anywhere. The stories of couriers throwing parcels over walls etc fills me with dread.

Apologies if this is not appropriate to post here and please delete if so.
Old 21st Jan 2019, 9:09 pm   #2

Default Re: Transcriptor Skeleton

Put it on eBay with collection only, best price and the person getting it will see it.

Old 21st Jan 2019, 9:34 pm   #3
Radio Wrangler

To some people, it's a horror, to others it's a thing of beauty. The former won't be interested, but there ought to be plenty of the latter prepared to travel to Edinburgh to get one.

Transcriptor's own arm, called the 'Vestigal' (odd spelling!) was not liked. Most people strongly preferred the SME arm.

Step 1 is to find out exactly what you have. Can you post some photos?

David
Old 21st Jan 2019, 10:57 pm   #4
Nancymay
Retired Dormant Member

Hi, I have attached a few photos, let me know if you need any more. I did check and it does have an SME arm.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3923.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	176876   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3924.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	176877   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3925.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	176878   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3926.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	176879  
Old 21st Jan 2019, 11:05 pm   #5
Nancymay
Retired Dormant Member

Sorry, I am wrong it does have the vestigal arm fitted. I'm confused as dad has a letter confirming the dispatch of an SME arm!
Old 21st Jan 2019, 11:20 pm   #6
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

When advertising, remember to mention the fitted Shure V15/iii cartridge - these are worth a pretty penny on their own.
Old 21st Jan 2019, 11:52 pm   #7
Beobloke
Heptode

As above - do not sell it to a dealer! Put it on eBay with plenty of good photos and make it collection-only. I’m sure you’ll have no trouble finding it new home.
Old 21st Jan 2019, 11:54 pm   #8
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

That is a real thing of beauty. I lusted over these so badly it almost hurt, back in the early/mid 70's.

Alas I have far too much audio gear, and hope it finds its way to someone who will do it justice and use it.
Old 22nd Jan 2019, 12:27 am   #9
Radio Wrangler

It looks pristine.

I agree. Ebay, not a dealer. Inspection and collection only. Far too fragile to ship.

It's likely your father kept the original packing materials and box. If he has, mention them in the auction and include a photo! Sounds odd, but they will lift the price a bit further, ditto any printed material, receipt etc.

That arm is very peculiar and rather uncommon. Very few cartridges are high enough compliance to be useable in it, and high compliance cartridges are no longer made. Styli for them are made.

David
Old 22nd Jan 2019, 10:08 pm   #10
Nancymay
Retired Dormant Member

Can anyone advise me of what a realistic price would be? What should i be asking for?
I certainly dont want to give it away but I have seen a couple on EBay tonight that seem to be asking silly money.
Old 23rd Jan 2019, 12:33 am   #11
Radio Wrangler

I think they do indeed fetch silly money.

The stratospheric prices happen when two or more people fancy one item and a bidding war ensues. You could stick it up for auction with a reserve set no less than would disappoint you and let nature take its course. That way you don't risk being disappointed and you might get nicely surprised by how silly things can get. Collection only tends to stifle prices as it rules out some rather well-heeled enthusiasts in the far East, but packaging and transport would be risky anyway.

David
Old 23rd Jan 2019, 12:33 am   #12
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

If you want a clearer picture of the market value, search "sold listings", which should tell you sums for which items have actually changed hands. Also, it's easy enough to list as "Buy It Now or Best Offer", or in auction format with the offers box ticked.

Of course if somebody pays silly money for it, they're more likely to treasure it...
Old 23rd Jan 2019, 1:59 pm   #13
Beobloke
Heptode

As above, start the auction at 99p and put a reserve on it to make sure that it doesn't sell for a silly low price (which I'm sure it won't!), then sit back and watch the bids roll in.
Old 23rd Jan 2019, 4:49 pm   #14
G4YVM David
Heptode

I would argue against eBay in some ways. The buyer is now heavily protected to the point that you might sell a working Skeleton only to find the buyer lodges a complaint. The upshot might be that you lose the money AND the skeleton. I would look for a hifi forum or magazine and advertise there, if it were mine. My experience with eBay is amateur radio kit though, not hifi. Might attract a different class of buyer.

David
Old 23rd Jan 2019, 5:52 pm   #15
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

I would certainly put a reserve on something as exotic as this. The problem with any online auction is that you will find that many Sellers do not quite know what they are selling - and - many Buyers do not quite understand what they are buying. This often can lead to disputes where both parties are deficient.
Old 17th Feb 2019, 11:03 pm   #16
Nancymay
Retired Dormant Member

Hi
After much deliberation I have put the Transcriptor on EBay as collection only. I have had an enquiry from someone who wants to come and see it. He has asked if it is turning. AS we now have no other equipment can anyone advise me if I can put a plug on it and put it straight into a 13amp socket? I don't want to damage it in any way.
Thanks in advance.
Old 17th Feb 2019, 11:31 pm   #17
Radio Wrangler

Post a photo of the cables from it and whatever connectors are on their ends.

David
Old 17th Feb 2019, 11:51 pm   #18
BRASSBITS
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancymay View Post
hi
after much deliberation i have put the transcriptor on ebay as collection only. I have had an enquiry from someone who wants to come and see it. He has asked if it is turning. As we now have no other equipment can anyone advise me if i can put a plug on it and put it straight into a 13amp socket? I don't want to damage it in any way.
Thanks in advance.
make it clear its cash on collection only
Old 18th Feb 2019, 9:53 am   #19
Nancymay
Retired Dormant Member

Photo attached.
Unfortunately EBay insists it is PayPal. Wouldn't let me post as cash only.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190218_085057.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	178607  
Old 18th Feb 2019, 10:24 am   #20
Radio Wrangler

The white cable is the mains, there's no earth connection as usual.... the turntable gets its earth from the signal cable, from the amplifier. This is just a signal earth and isn't needed for safety.

Fitting a 13A plug to the white cable should make it run. The plug should be fitted with a 2 amp fuse to do things correctly. Its two cores look to have the usual colours. Brown for L, blue for N

As your father used it, it should have a 240v motor (110v ones would have been made for export)

David