UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Jan 2019, 7:31 pm   #1
nutteronthebus
Hexode

Default Quad FM4

My FM4 tuner has stopped working and it refuses to respond to turn of the tuning pod and/or the presets. It shows 87.20 - flickering to 87.15 - all the time - no matter how the tuning or presets are treated.
I have replaced the battery - allowed it 24 hours of recharcing (power on) and still the same. I have also have an other that the display shows 120.15 but one fault at a time as there is a U-tube video in 7 parts with the same fault I have yet to sit through

Dave
Old 3rd Jan 2019, 7:59 pm   #2

Default Re: Quad FM4

Varicap power supply gone down?

Old 5th Jan 2019, 12:12 am   #3
Michael Maurice

There are some diodes around the varicap circuit, 1N4148's (I think) replace them.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 6th Jan 2019, 8:39 pm   #4
nutteronthebus
Hexode

I have ordered a lot of caps to replace the old ones (100uf 16v are so small ) plus 1N4148 D21/22 . Watch this space for results

Dave
Old 11th Jan 2019, 10:19 am   #5
nutteronthebus
Hexode

I have replaced all of the caps , a lot of the 100uf 6.3v were well out along with the power supply cap next to the heatsink 560uf not 1000uf ( I have 3 to repair 1 humming now ok)

not yet replaced the diodes as waiting to arrive but no change in the tuning

Dave
Old 20th Jan 2019, 11:26 am   #6
nutteronthebus
Hexode

Having replaced all the dodgy caps and D21/22 still drifting a lot so I replaced the Zener D24 as the ref was 6.03v now at 6.21 and stable ( 2 down and 2 to go as 1 new fault now has no display ) that other faulty one has no ref voltage ( same either side of T11 that has been replaced iss 4 board )

Dave
Old 4th Feb 2019, 10:14 am   #7
nutteronthebus
Hexode

Help. After replacing all the caps on the board and d21/22 the tuner still will not tune ( I have seen several tuners on that site with the same fault ) is this a simple stock fault or has it multiple causes and has any one got a clue.

Dave
Old 4th Feb 2019, 1:45 pm   #8
SteveCG
Nonode

Were there two versions of the Quad FM4 tuner? An earlier one with brown case, green display and DIN audio connectors; and a later one in blue-grey case, brown display and phono audio connectors. I have a recollection that the exact circuitry used varied depending upon the version. Indeed Quad issued different service information depending upon the serial number of the tuner. Which version/serial number do you have?
Old 5th Feb 2019, 11:22 am   #9
nutteronthebus
Hexode

This is the earlier one yellow button FM4 M12615-5 serial No 014135 ref L 1.4v ref H 7.4v . moving the tuning dial it changes from 87.25 to 87.30 across the full range the voltage changes on the output of the pot from 1.7 to 7.4v
Old 5th Feb 2019, 2:17 pm   #10
SteveCG
Nonode

As I don't have a circuit diagram to hand I speculate now. Do you have the appropriate circuit diagram, if not I can only suggest looking on some of the service manual websites like perhaps hifiengine.

In brief: I think the Quad system is like other 'modern' tuners in that it generates a D.C voltage which is applied to a varactor tuned front-end - both RF and local oscillator. There will be a feed from the local oscillator to a frequency counting section whose display is what we see. The circuit that sets the D.C. voltage to the tuner front-end will an IC that converts the stored frequencies into the D.C. voltage.

If this is the set-up Quad use then a test to do is to measure the voltage going to the tuner front-end and see if it changes when you turn the manual tune dial. I suspect that it is not changing otherwise you would be hearing stations even if the display was not showing the appropriate frequency.

I hope this has not been telling grandmother how to suck eggs...

Last edited by SteveCG; 5th Feb 2019 at 2:23 pm. Reason: added sentence
Old 5th Feb 2019, 5:44 pm   #11
KeithsTV
Nonode

Check the tuning voltage is reaching the three preset pots in the tuner.

If this is OK there is a small inductor which connects the local oscillator coil to ground and acts as the dc return for the varactor tuning of the oscillator. I've had a dry joint on this coil which caused the frequency display to show a low frequency whatever the position of the tuning control.

I've had several dry joints in my FM4 and 44 which have caused some weird behaviour.

Keith
Closed Thread