UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Jun 2005, 3:50 am   #21
KD4BBM
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Band 3 in Ireland

Thanks for all the information about the conversion from the 405 standard. I did use this information in the report I needed to do about the reuse of our US analog UHF band for public safety. The very long period to allow older sets to be replaced clearly isn’t going to happen with the conversion to digital. We’ll have to see how the public reacts to having their TVs become obsolete in such a short time.

Since the thread seemed to move to DX TV, I thought I would mention an interesting case we have here. I live in Miami, home of WPBT, Channel 2, analog NTSC. I worked in Providence Rhode Island for a couple years. There’s a Channel 2 coming from Boston Mass. I worked for a cable company and we needed to pick up Boston clearly so we could pass it on to customers. A couple times a year, when conditions were right, we would get some nasty co-channel interference (black horizontal bars going up the screen) . So strong, sometimes we saw the other station better than Boston. Rather than it being Ch 2 from NY, or Maine, it was our Miami Channel 2 coming in loud and clear!

There was often perfect ducting up the warm waters of the Gulf Stream? Since the same Gulf Stream ends up at the UK, I was wondering if the same thing would happen in your direction.

Do any of you ever got US stations over there. Not sure if what you would get on your sets. This page will show you the standard low band (ch 2-6 frequencies and the sound and color subcarrier data.

http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/catv-ch.html

One of the tricks us hams use to see when ducting is happening on 6 meters is to watch for co-channel interference on channel 2 or 3.

Thanks again for all the valuable information.
Old 26th Jun 2005, 8:52 am   #22
David_Robinson
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid tellies
Yesterday I picked up a strange signal on 94.00Mhz...
I have been receiving this fairly regularly here in Nottingham, also 2FM from the same station, Leinster, on 91.8. As a matter of interest, does anyone know which polarisation this transmitter uses? My FM aerial is vertical, so if the station is horizontal this would be even more surprising. The RTÉ website doesn't seem to have this information.
Old 26th Jun 2005, 5:19 pm   #23
paulsherwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD4BBM
Do any of you ever got US stations over there. Not sure if what you would get on your sets. This page will show you the standard low band (ch 2-6 frequencies and the sound and color subcarrier data.

http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/catv-ch.html

One of the tricks us hams use to see when ducting is happening on 6 meters is to watch for co-channel interference on channel 2 or 3.
It's possible to DX band 1 TV over the Atlantic but NTSC capable TVs are *extremely* rare here (even the multistandard sets are designed for things like French SECAM, eastern European SECAM etc). It was of course technically difficult to design cheap TVs which would resolve 60Hz NTSC on a 50Hz power supply until relatively recently.

I know American amateurs on the east coast used to DX BBC TV sound from London in the 1930s.

Best regards, Paul
Old 26th Jun 2005, 7:50 pm   #24
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

As a TV Dxer it is not totally unknown for US and Canadian band 1 stations to be seen over here. Depending on the receiver used, with suitable adjustment to the horizontal and verticle controls mono pictures have been resolved. During last summers Sporadic E season both American and Canadian Band 2 FM radio stations were received in various parts of the UK. They also had their reports verified by the stations concerned.
Closed Thread