UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Mar 2013, 11:52 am   #1
David Simpson
Nonode

Default Cossor Oscillograph Camera

Folks may remember my work on Cossor 3339/339's scopes & 343 Wobbulator, some time back. Now I'm on the look-out for a Cossor Model 3330 or 427 35mm Camera attatchment &/or info, please. To complete the trio, so to speak.
Right enough, the 339 & 3339 manuals I have, do have a couple of brief paragraphs on the camera. But more in-depth info is sought.
The sheer size & weight of my Cossor equipment prevent me from having them readily available for use in my wee workshop. However, plans are afoot to build an extension. So am thinking ahead for future projects.

Regards, David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cossor Oscillograph Camera.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	77963  
Old 29th Mar 2013, 3:08 pm   #2
Cobaltblue

Default Re: Cossor Oscillograph Camera

Hi David

I have a couple of these Cameras along with a few Cossor scopes.

They are all on the rountuit pile at the moment.

As I rushed out the flat to return home for the Long weekend I took a couple of snaps of one of them.

This one is bolted to the front of my 1059

Cheers

Mike T
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG0125.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	77974   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0126.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	77975   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0127.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	77976  
Old 29th Mar 2013, 3:37 pm   #3

If you want to use it in anger may I recomend XP2 black and white film, it has two advantages... 1) a very wide exposure lattitude and 2) developable in (now not so) common colour labs. Also made in Britain by Ilford (Harman).

Old 29th Mar 2013, 4:07 pm   #4
David Simpson
Nonode

Many thanks, Mike. An inspiration for me to double my efforts to find one to fit my 339 types. Your's seem a bit more modern attatchments for fitment to post-war 1000 series Cossor scopes. Motorized drive & all. Yours are retained by threaded bolts, but 339's just have the metal slides which normally hold the perspex graticule. Never the less, lovely bits of kit.
Thankfully my wife is a member of a local camera club in Banff, and some of the members are really experienced in old B & W photography & films. XP2 rings a bell, Merlinmaxwell. I seem to remember using it for U/Water photography back in the late 60's/early 70's.
Even more thankfully, (much gratitude to Bob Worsley), I have a full selection of spare CRT's, & whose persistance & phosphorescence colour can be chosen for different displays & photographic writing speeds.
I suspect that if any of these old pre & wartime Cossor camaras are still around, they'll be in a bit of a state. But that doesn't matter.

Regards, David
Old 29th Mar 2013, 5:30 pm   #5
David Simpson
Nonode

Purely coincidental to this thread - Another Cossor 343 enthusiast has just raised some queries regarding his 343's renovation. So I had to remove the 5" dial off mine to scan it, and also run it up after it has been sat dormant on a shelf since being renovated about 3 years ago. So I could check harmonic distortion. Anyway - a gremlin has crept inside & put some mains hum on the HT & knackered the signal o/p on two ranges!
Thought I'd try my hand at CRT photography, seeing as I've been banging on about it today - with my wee old Konica Minolta digital camera. Managed a decent picture off my Hameg HM605's display of the offending hum.
Lesson learnt - dont leave pre-war mains equipment unused on shelves for long periods, even though you'd replaced all the duff electrolytics, chokes, etc initially.

Regards, David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	343's HT Ripple, 600mV.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	77987  
Old 24th Dec 2014, 12:26 pm   #6
David Simpson
Nonode

Folks,
Despite badgering local Camera Club members & their contacts in the photographic fraternity since my last post - I've still not been able to track down a compatible Cossor Camera attachment for my 3339 & 339 Oscillographs.
Just thought I'd try & re-jog someone's memory. Looking at the pictures in my pre-war Cossor 3339 Manual, these camera attachments seem to be pretty robust. So might have survived the passing of the years, lying in someone's loft or shed. The cameras look pretty basic, not exactly a valuable Hasselblad or Leica.

Regards, David
Closed Thread