UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Jan 2012, 8:31 pm   #21
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Ekco AD65 chrome bars

I don't know if this is of any help. It concerns alternatives to chrome plating.

http://www.thintri.com/chrome-plating-report.htm
Old 18th Jan 2012, 10:18 pm   #22
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

Hi,
I'm looking for a chrome bar for my Ekco AC76, and I'm considdering making it out of stainless steel, then polishing it up, not chrome plating it, just leaving it as a polished surface. Does anyone think this would be a viable alternative to brass then chrome plating?
I do still have the original chrome bar, but one end had been knocked off before I got the set!

Regards,
Lloyd.
Old 18th Jan 2012, 10:45 pm   #23
Robert Darwent
Heptode

It's certainly worth a try Lloyd. If you really buffed it to a high shine I could see it being a good alternative and more than acceptable to the eye.

In any case it is easily replaced should the unlikely happen and an original bar come along in the future.

Regards

Robert G0UHF
www.wavesintheair.co.uk
Old 21st Jan 2012, 9:23 pm   #24
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

This might be of interest, particularly as they sell the electrolyte at £8.00 for 50ml, and I suspect the equipment could be improvised quite easily (a 'wand' costs only £3.00 anyway).
Old 14th Jul 2012, 10:49 am   #25
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Just an update, I took the three brass bars and the semicircle bar to another chrome plater he charged me £25. The 3 Bars look like new, the semicircle bar bubbled a little and looks more its age. I am very pleased with the results.
I now need details of the metal pate behind the scale, as I will have to make one.
John.
Closed Thread