UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Jul 2010, 8:21 pm   #21
Steve_P
Dekatron

Default Re: BVWS Wootton Bassett - July 11th

Mike will find a way if you ask him I'm sure. If it helps, I won't be there so use my ticket. Just don't bid on the 1400.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 10th Jul 2010, 8:49 pm   #22
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks, it only works out at £13 so I'll probably just join anyway.

Dave
Old 10th Jul 2010, 9:23 pm   #23
JoshWard
Octode

Anyone willing to bid on the T37DA for me?.... And store it temporarily?......

Josh.
Old 10th Jul 2010, 9:35 pm   #24
brianc
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom View Post
Are the Columbia cylinders interchangeable with Edison? Anyone know?

Dave
Hi Dave
Yes. they are compatible.
Old 10th Jul 2010, 9:37 pm   #25
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom View Post
Thanks, it only works out at £13 so I'll probably just join anyway.

Dave
You will get the Bulletins from the first half of this year, plus whatever CD-ROMs and DVDs there is still stock of from the last few years, as a joining pack. So although you miss out on being able to attend events earlier in the year before you joined, you get everything else plus a good bundle of goodies too. I'm sure you'll feel it's good value.

The week or so before an event is not a good time to try to contact Mike as he will be busy sorting, photographing and cataloging auction lots, loading the van, organising table layouts and labels, and all the other behind the scenes work that makes these events a success.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 10th Jul 2010, 10:26 pm   #26
murphymad
Heptode

Hi All,

I have replied to BOOM directly, but has been stated you must be a BVWS member to enter into an Auction transaction.

Steve: We would never allow a member to use another members ticket. I would know straight away that it was not you holding up the card, and ignore the bid. Otherwise you could end up being responsible for someone buying something and then not paying and it would be down to you...

Stangely enough, I pretty well know everyone by face at all of the meetings, and new visitors stand out quite clearly to me.

See you all tomorrow,

Off to bed now as up at 5am.

Mike...
Old 10th Jul 2010, 10:37 pm   #27
audiomagpie
Heptode

Default !

A Harpy and NVCF regular, I've decided to attend Wootton Bassett tomorrow, it will be my first visit, so looking forward to it. I understand that the catering is excellent also!

See you there!

Greg

BVWS committee chairman
Old 11th Jul 2010, 8:32 pm   #28
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

Had a brilliant day met up with quite a few people, catering was just amazing, those bacon sandwiches are to die for. The auction was long but very interesting with some unbelievable prices (both high and low) and I have managed to sneak my Hacker Mayflower in without anyone seeing it. Just like to say a big thanks to everyone involved in the organising of this event.
Old 11th Jul 2010, 8:45 pm   #29
SeanStevens
Octode

Many thanks to all who made the WB event possible - From Ian (Hermit6345) and me.

I am many radios lighter - I can almost see bits of work surface in the conservatory!

It was a great event, perfect weather and great food. Choc ices saved the day.

Lovely to meet such a great bunch of people - all 100% 'into' their radios and TVs.

SEAN
Old 11th Jul 2010, 8:45 pm   #30
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks to all of the organisers of todays Wootton Bassett event. It was my first vintage radio meet as a BVWS member and both myself and wife had a thoroughly good time although we had to leave before the end due to family commitments.

I creased up when in true ‘it doesn’t really happen at auctions’ style a hand went up and Mike took it as a £100 bid. The guy was actually trying to get the attention of the ice cream seller!

Bargains wise the only item I bought was a DAC10 which is in extremely good condition and even works. With a perfect case and dial it even has the badge. Cost me just £8. How bad’s that?

We are looking forward to the next Wootten Bassett meet on December 5.

Dave
Old 11th Jul 2010, 9:10 pm   #31
Paul Stenning
Administrator

I got back home about half an hour ago from a long but thoroughly enjoyable day (left the house at 6am). The auction was quite tiring for us up on stage holding up the lots, but two brief breaks and choc-ices helped. And of course everyone being patient and courteous when collecting their items at the end, when we are all flagging a bit.

I always enjoy Wootton Bassett because it has such a good friendly atmosphere, excellent food, bargains to be had, and not too far to drive.

I bought a Hacker Mayflower 2 from Colin who let me have it for a very reasonable price in return for my FCS help getting a set to him. I think it was probably the nicest of the four there today (two in the auction and two on stalls) so I'm very pleased with that. I also bought a nice tidy Ekco U245 in the auction for £5. I had my eye on a couple of other auction lots but they went too high for me.

Paul Stenning
Old 11th Jul 2010, 9:42 pm   #32
audiomagpie
Heptode

My first trip to W/B and really enjoyed the day, will certainly come again, not as far away as I thought. Bacon sarnies and the home made cakes were, well, the icing on the cake!

With all this talk about the eventual demise of FM, I thought I'd better buy an FM set to make the most of it while still available, so I bought the Ekco FM only console that nobody else seemed to want! Plus a big tray of 50's/60's TV valves in the auction and many bits and pieces from the stalls.

(What a nice day for sticking a cucumber thro' the vicars letter box and shouting "Look out, the Martians are coming"! courtesy Ken Dodd) This won't mean anything to you if you didn't go!

Thanks to the organisers, great day.

Greg

BVWS committee chairman
Old 12th Jul 2010, 12:25 am   #33
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Console sets are generally unloved just because of the space they take up. That Ekco should sound really good when it's sorted though. It looked to be in decent condition and probably sold for next-to-nothing.

Jeremy still hasn't said what he plans to do with the cucumber!

I don't know what route you took from Warwickshire, but I would suggest leaving the M5 at Gloucester and coming down the A417 and A419 (both mostly decent fast dual carriageways) to the M4, then along one junction west and into Wootton Bassett.

Paul Stenning
Old 12th Jul 2010, 8:30 am   #34
audiomagpie
Heptode

I came down the Fosse Way A429 to Cirencester then picked up then A419 towards Swindon, bypassing Swindon anti clockwise by going through Cricklade and coming into W/B at the top end. About 71 miles door to door, took about 1hr 30min (Sunday drivers!)

I plugged in the Ekco last night and it does sound good, if a little low on volume. Could be low gain on the FM front end, or in the audio section, I haven't investigated yet. Looks like it has 3 speakers, in a 'proper' sealed enclosure with a plywood back, rather that just the usual hardboard. Look forward to getting it going 100%.

Greg

BVWS committee chairman

Last edited by audiomagpie; 12th Jul 2010 at 8:48 am.
Old 12th Jul 2010, 8:37 am   #35
raditechman
Heptode

I did not see the auction lots until today the Monday after the event, as I was away a lot last week.
It is my misfortune as for years I have been after a Ferranti Nova and none have been turning up. Today I see that there was one there yesterday!
Drat! That's life!
Old 12th Jul 2010, 9:35 am   #36
ekcobeach
Rest in Peace

A thoroughly enjoyable day. Great atmosphere. Many thanks to all the organisers, brilliant. Colin.
Old 13th Jul 2010, 10:27 am   #37
Geoff 555
Heptode

Hello well it was my first visit to WB or indeed any auction and I did not have any idea what to expect but a great day. Oh for more space I thought some of the radio's were very cheap ( but what do I know.)
Many thanks to Mike for letting me grab the TV before the end of the auction, I did make the appointment that I couldnt miss.
Thanks to all, I will be back.
Cheers.
Geoff.
Closed Thread