UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Mar 2019, 3:37 pm   #1
vampyretim
Heptode

Default Sharp 185E stylus screw

Hi,

am working on a sharp record player at the moment and have annoyingly lost the tiny screw that holds the stylus to the cartridge. I believe that the stylus is a Sharp 185E. Does anyone know what screw I can use as a replacement?

Many thanks,
Tim.
Old 7th Mar 2019, 5:12 pm   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Sharp 185E stylus screw

You might be able to use the very small screw from a Collaro "Studio" or BSR TC8 series cartridge.
Old 7th Mar 2019, 11:03 pm   #3
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

How small is small, Tim? I have no personal experience with the screw in question, but I'm a skilled practitioner of the 'feel around on the floor game'.

Do you have an idea of the thread form or length? A tap drill passed through the hole will give an idea of the major shank diameter. You might be pleasantly surprised at the mail-order variety of screws available.
Old 8th Mar 2019, 2:57 am   #4
ben
Dekatron

There was a recent thread on this. That cart is a Vaco luxor, based on the ancient BSR TC8 design, and tended to be found in budget Japanese portable players from the early 70s. Why such a modern unit would use such a crude pick up is beyond me!

Most of these carts I have come into contact with in the last few years had also deteriorated and had total or partial loss of audio on one or both channels.

I would suggest replacing it with a BSR SC12 which will track better, protect your records more, and more importantly sound far better.
Old 8th Mar 2019, 10:00 am   #5
rontech
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bulgaria View Post
How small is small, Tim? I have no personal experience with the screw in question, but I'm a skilled practitioner of the 'feel around on the floor game'.
My technique for the microscopic item on the carpet:- use a powerful torch of the bulb / reflector type, rest torch on the carpet almost parallel with the surface and scan slowly round in a circle. The "radar" beam usually usually locates the offender I find.
Old 8th Mar 2019, 10:10 am   #6
Kentode
Octode

I'm a fan of the " magnet on a string " method, drawing it from one side of the room to the other whilst walking backwards.

Quite often the missing items are found some distance from where you expect. Sod's law l suppose!

BVWS member
Old 8th Mar 2019, 4:46 pm   #7
vampyretim
Heptode

Thanks guys,

It's smaller than a tc8 screw as I have tried one!
Old 10th Mar 2019, 1:21 pm   #8
rontech
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentode View Post
I'm a fan of the " magnet on a string " method, drawing it from one side of the room to the other whilst walking backwards.

Quite often the missing items are found some distance from where you expect. Sod's law l suppose!

For some reason I never lose ferrous items. They always seem to be brass, plastic or aluminium!
Old 10th Mar 2019, 2:14 pm   #9
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampyretim View Post
Thanks guys,

It's smaller than a tc8 screw as I have tried one!
You might get one from a watchmaker/repairer?
As has been already suggested, a NOS cartridge might serve you far better.