UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Mar 2019, 6:47 am   #1
mikej56
Triode

Default Perspex lid dimensions Garrard SP25 Mks 1-5

I have several SP25 turntables in various states of repair. 2 x Mk2, and one each of MKs 3,4,and 5. All of these are chassis only and came without plinths or covers.

My intention is to construct a plinth for one of these (probably a Mk2 or 3) and buy a perspex cover for it, the complete unit will be part of a 60th Birthday present, together with a vintage amp and speakers.

In order to determine the size of the turntable Plinth and cover which could be used while a record is being played is there any rule of thumb for clearance dimensions which would be added to the known measurements of the deck?

There are plenty of new perspex/ poly carbonate covers for sale but none specifically designed for these decks. There are few used lids for sale, which claim to be correct for these SP25s, but they are in poor condition and may not even be the original dimensions.
It's impossible to choose the correct size without information on the sizes of the original covers used with these decks when they were new.
Does anyone here have such information?

Mike
Old 1st Mar 2019, 7:47 am   #2
Electronpusher0
Nonode

Default Re: Perspex lid dimensions Garrard SP25 Mks 1-5

I have an original plinth template for a Mk2 which I could get copied 1:1 at my local copy shop for you at cost if it helps.

Peter
Old 1st Mar 2019, 8:03 am   #3
mikej56
Triode

Thanks!
Does the template show the board size (clearance around the turntable) as well as the cut out pattern?

Mike
Old 1st Mar 2019, 10:17 am   #4
vidjoman
Dekatron

Many Garrard SP25 Turntables were supplied to dozens/hundreds of firms who made plinths and sold them on. I suspect that there were probably only a small number who made the plastic covers which were usually vacuum formed as a cheap way to make them. A few would have made a better job of the cover at an increased price. Don't think there was ever a 'standard' size of the plinths and covers.
Old 1st Mar 2019, 10:44 am   #5
ronbryan
Octode

There were at least two types of lid sold as part of the SP25/plinth package - the play-on lid and the cheaper one that you had to put to one side when playing discs.

Ron
Old 1st Mar 2019, 2:29 pm   #6
ben
Dekatron

If you look at the late 70s Garrard offerings like the SP25 MK IV, and belt drive V and VI, 125SB, etc. you will often find the better sized plinth, which had hinged lid and could be close with a 12 inch disc on the platter. I would look for one of those. Look at the manuals and catalogues on vinyl engine, maybe there will be some info/ dimensions. Pic found online attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	garrard plinth larger.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	179238  
Old 1st Mar 2019, 2:43 pm   #7
mikej56
Triode

Thanks. Yes Ron, I think I came across that years ago.

I have now found a template for the MK 2 on Vinyl Engine with all the measurements on it. These include the recommended board size which takes into consideration the maximum that the counterweight on the tone arm will swing out when the stylus is at the end of the run-out groove.
On close examination there are also dimensions given for the minimum clearance above and below the mounting board, allowing for the maximum expected height of the counterweight.

Peter,
I think I can scale this drawing up and print it myself. Thanks for the offer.

I have until the beginning of June to complete this project, so that gives me plenty of time to obtain the correct size of cover. I still need similar information for the other turntables for the future.

Mike
Old 1st Mar 2019, 2:44 pm   #8
mikej56
Triode

Thanks Ben,

I will do that.

Mike
Old 1st Mar 2019, 7:37 pm   #9
Herald1360
Dekatron

As long as any cover is comfortably large enough you can simply make the plinth and motorboard to fit that cover.

Adequate clearances will make it nicer to use and easier to put on/lift off without disturbing anything if it's not hinged.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 3rd Mar 2019, 10:55 pm   #10
Electronpusher0
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikej56 View Post

Peter,
I think I can scale this drawing up and print it myself. Thanks for the offer.

Mike
Glad you found the info you need, sorry not to have responded sooner but I have been away from the computer for a couple of days.

Peter
Closed Thread