UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Feb 2019, 10:24 pm   #1
Cameron
Retired Dormant Member

Default Discatron Cartridge Replacement and General Questions

I've been after a Discatron for years, and I finally managed to get a really nice example on eBay. It came untested, but is cosmetically perfect at least.

I've stripped it down to service it and give it the once over, and the stylus is quite blunt. I read some advice online about sliding the stylus tip out, but instead it's just snapped in half. It appears that every thread I've found on this forum references the plastic cartridge found on the Discassette (sp?), which was a later 'improved' variant.

Mine appears to be an early model, with a red cartridge that needs to have the earth solder broken to be able to remove it. My stylus is blue, and appears to be reversible (one side plastic, one side metal), hence why I thought that it would just nicely remove. Even downloading the service manual, the procedure for removing the cartridge references removing the tabs at the back of the cartridge, which my set definitely doesn't have.

So what cartridge could it be? If I can attach some photos, I will.

Secondly, the Discatron was originally powered by two VT9 Batteries - what modern replacements can I use? I expect the original VT9 terminals will want swapping to accommodate the new battery too.

Here is a photo of the cartridge setup in my Discatron and the now broken stylus tip.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Discatron1.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	179202  
Old 1st Mar 2019, 6:21 am   #2
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Default Re: Discatron Cartridge Replacement and General Questions

I think the VT9 is the Vidor equivalent of the Ever Ready PP9. PP9s are still available, or I think a holder with 6 AA cells will fit in the same space.
Old 2nd Mar 2019, 1:12 pm   #3
af024
Octode

There's an Acos GP79 cartridge/stylus assy in mine. I've never seen anything else fitted.
Yes, I concur, 2 x PP9s.

Regards
Old 2nd Mar 2019, 1:15 pm   #4
af024
Octode

This is one of them ...
https://www.musonic.co.uk/index.php?...ducts_id=19433
Old 2nd Mar 2019, 5:20 pm   #5
ekjdm14
Banned

This is another thread I was searching for after watching the video I linked to in this thread. https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=154354

I thought the stylus and red cartridge looked rather similar to the system used in the Wondergram.
Old 2nd Mar 2019, 6:42 pm   #6
af024
Octode

It does, but I don't think that's what was originally fitted to the Discatron.

Regards.
Old 2nd Mar 2019, 6:55 pm   #7
astro63
Pentode

The red catridge/ stylus = power point is the same as the wondergram pick up Electro-voice EV51 power point, they are hard to get with the double tipped LP, the blue version EV56 is LP and 78 tipped. you will only get old stock now as they stopped making the red version few years back :-(
Old 3rd Mar 2019, 1:04 pm   #8
Herald1360
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDuell View Post
I think the VT9 is the Vidor equivalent of the Ever Ready PP9. PP9s are still available, or I think a holder with 6 AA cells will fit in the same space.

Easily- in fact one will fit quite happily inside an emptied out PP9 case. Capacity is rather less- about half, but given that PP9s run to about £5 each and you can get decent AA alkaline cells for around 35p or less, and they're widely available in a hurry, the restuffed battery option is handy.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 3rd Mar 2019, 1:52 pm   #9
julie_m
Dekatron

If you are building a replacement battery in the hollowed-out case of a dead one, you could use NiMH cells. Unless you can find someone selling 300 alkaline D cells for a quid*, rechargeable batteries work out cheaper than disposables.

* Assume 15Ah capacity for a D size alkaline cell. 15Ah * 1.5V = 22.5Wh = 0.0225 kWh (this is a very generous estimate, as the voltage will fall below 1.5V as the cell becomes spent). 1kWh of mains electricity costs 14.71p according to my meter, so £1 = 100 / 14.71 = 6.798kWh. 6.798kWh / 0.0225 kWh per cell = 302.1. Call it a nice round 300