UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Feb 2019, 6:28 pm   #41
Chumley
Triode

Default Re: Hacker Gondolier sound lacking presence

This is interesting. I've opened up the Acos cartridge (three light blows with a bradawl was enough to free the rivets). There's no sign of any corrosion or damage, but the tags connected to the rubber suspension appear packed with something like petroleum jelly. I was expecting it to be dry inside.

Is the jelly likely to be detrimentally affecting the transmission of the vibrations? Is it there just to stop corrosion? It's not gone hard and wipes off very easily.

The suspension piece itself seems straight and reasonably flexible, and there's nothing apparent to me that could have been affecting the output frequencies. Is there anything else I should be cleaning in there?

If the pics aren't large enough I've pointed at the connections I mean with a screwdriver in the third one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-02-16 17.02.42.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	178516   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-02-16 17.03.45.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	178517   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-02-16 17.13.34.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	178518  
Old 20th Feb 2019, 3:15 pm   #42
Chumley
Triode

Well, the bits of Acos cartridge have gone to a new home.

All that remained for me to do was to try the stereo out from the Hacker fitted with the SC12M. I ran a line into the amp input of the SRP31D, and what joy! At moderate volume they work really well together, and it's not difficult to balance the bass/treble settings.

Going from the Bush (fitted with Sonotone 8TA) to the Hacker as a stereo pair really didn't make any discernible difference to these ageing ears.

I think that all counts as 'job done'.
Old 25th Feb 2019, 2:54 am   #43
ianj
Heptode

Well ; I blue-tak'ed the cheap £1 on-line chinese ceramic cartridge into place on the garrard 2025tc arm , in place of the gp96 - and tge treble is much better , nice sound now. Ill be fitting it properly. I bought 3 cartridges , so will simply swap the whole thing in the future when I think the stylus needs changing.

Incidentally ; Sanyo still make a ceramic cartridge with a diamond stylus for about a tenner- saw those online too !
Old 25th Feb 2019, 11:06 am   #44
ekjdm14
Banned

Before this thread closes, I have to say a big thank you for all the info on the Acos carts in 2025TC changers. I'll have to experiment with changing to a BSR on my Marconiphone as that's also very woolly sounding, almost as if the speakers are under a thick duvet!
Old 26th Feb 2019, 1:19 am   #45
dalgwcobl
Pentode

If you can find one, with its mounting clip, put a Sonotone 9TA or 9TAHC in that arm at about 4-5 grams tracking weight - no less. That low-mass arm is made for the 9TA and it will outperform the Acos or anything else. The 9TAHC is the better of the two, but may not have sufficient output for the Hacker amp. Either will also have a superior HF response.
Old 26th Feb 2019, 8:51 am   #46
Chumley
Triode

Thanks for all that. To recap, the problem was that the frequency response of the originally-fitted Acos had changed with age, losing LF and HF, and emphasising low mids. The NOS BSR cartridge with which I replaced the Acos is tracking at 4.2g and seems to have the frequency range and output I need without modifying the Hacker to add a tweeter. In theory I understand the Acos was a better cartridge than the BSR, but in practice a good BSR is superior to a knackered Acos and seems quite sufficient for the Hacker.

I'd not considered a Sonotone 9TA, but there's a NOS 8TA - same as fitted to my SRP31D - currently on eBay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Old-S...H/392247127177).

The 8TA from the SRP31D sounded good through the Hacker as evidenced in one of my earlier videos on this thread. What are the differences in characteristics between the 8TA and 9TA?
Old 26th Feb 2019, 8:57 am   #47
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalgwcobl View Post
If you can find one, with its mounting clip, put a Sonotone 9TA or 9TAHC in that arm at about 4-5 grams tracking weight - no less. That low-mass arm is made for the 9TA and it will outperform the Acos or anything else. The 9TAHC is the better of the two, but may not have sufficient output for the Hacker amp. Either will also have a superior HF response.
In theory, you're right. The 2025TC and 9TAHC were made for one another and the latter is the best ceramic cartridge I've ever heard. In terms of output, it will drive the Hacker perfectly well (been there, done that).

HOWEVER, all 9TAHCs I've dealt with recently have been knackered, i.e. suffering from the same symptoms as the duff Acos in this thread.

Nick.
Old 26th Feb 2019, 8:31 pm   #48
dalgwcobl
Pentode

Hmm sad to hear about 9TAs dying. I have several in different players which are OK.

The 8TA was a different animal from the previous generation of ceramics and, although good in its day, wasn't in the same league as the 9TA.

I'm currently trying out one of the cheap Chinese ceramics with flip-over stylus. It's not happy in a BSR UA8 changer (arm bearings and trigger mech all nice and free) unless the tracking weight is too high for comfort. The single-stylus version works well in lower mass pickup arms, so that supports your test results.

So that leaves the BSR which certainly seems to be a good workhorse. If it sounds good, tracks OK and you like it - job done!
Closed Thread