UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Jan 2019, 11:22 pm   #1
Vintage_Man2012
Tetrode

Default Avo Douglas No.3 Coil Winder drive belts

Hello everyone,

I have an old Avo Douglas No.3 linear coil winder and variable drive shaft that I am looking to get up and running but it was not supplied with any drive belts.

Has anyone on here got one of these machines set up and is able to advise on where I can obtain a suitable drive belt for running this machine?

Thanks
Paul
Old 30th Jan 2019, 11:26 am   #2
Herald1360
Dekatron

Default Re: Avo Douglas No.3 Coil Winder drive belts

Might be worth asking here:

https://store.lathes.co.uk/belts

NFI- just googled flat cotton drive belts......

BTW, if you haven't already got a copy, the handbook is easily found online, too- that's where I got the flat cotton bit from
.........O..Chris....O
Old 30th Jan 2019, 7:25 pm   #3
Vintage_Man2012
Tetrode

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the link.

I've got the user manual for the machine but it doesn't state the sizes, only "Short driving belt" and "Long driving belt".

I'll have to try and estimate it from the layout diagram and see if there are any available that are suitable.

Cheers
Paul
Old 30th Jan 2019, 10:41 pm   #4
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Heat-jointed 'transmission belt' is widely used in model engineering circles (I use it on my metalworking lathe). It's available in various diameters and you just cut it to length, heat the ends and press them together - it sticks really well. I heat the ends on either side of a paint scraper blade heated up with a small blowtorch, slide the ends off the blade and press then ends together till the joint sets.

I buy my belting from Chronos but no doubt there are other suppliers:

https://www.chronos.ltd.uk/acatalog/...n_Belt_46.html

Hope that helps.
Old 31st Jan 2019, 8:42 am   #5
Vintage_Man2012
Tetrode

Thanks David,

I do use heat jointed belts for some other machines and I am very pleased with them.

The problem here is that the heat jointed belting I've found is of circular cross-section and won't fit an Avo No. 3 because it requires a narrow belt with a flat cross-section.

Do you know if this is available anywhere?

Paul
Old 31st Jan 2019, 9:49 am   #6
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Sorry Paul - I haven't see any other than circular belting, but a call to Chronos might be worth a try, or as Herald1360 says, you could also try lathes.co

Those sorts of firms are well connected with what's available.

Good luck in your quest.
Old 31st Jan 2019, 10:01 am   #7
Station X

It might be possible to use a toothed (coggey) belt or perhaps a Poly Vee Belt, essentially a series of small vee belts moulded side by side, inside out.

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/conve...dules/0408552/

The link is just an example. You'll need to consult manufacturer's data sheets to find something the right size.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 31st Jan 2019, 10:22 pm   #8
Vintage_Man2012
Tetrode

Thank you both for the information,

I've found a supplier of flat drive belts at www.bearingsrus.co.uk so I'm going to work out the correct lengths required and order a set.

Will try and update the forum on any progress!

Paul
Old 31st Jan 2019, 11:08 pm   #9
MotorBikeLes
Nonode

I don't know what size belt you need, but taking Graham's suggestion further, note that Poly-Vee belts come in many sizes (Vee size that is) as well as numerous lengths and many ribs.
In manufacture, they are made very many ribs wide, then cut to the number of ribs required.
So, get one of suitable rib section, correct length, and with a sharp blade, cut off just one rib, or more if one is not wide enough.
It is not difficult to order a stock rib size, specified rib numbers, and almost any length. I converted my Velo dynamo drive to poly-Vee, and had to choose a belt specification and get it (well, 2 giving a spare) and it only took a couple of weeks to arrive.
Les.
Old 8th Feb 2019, 11:24 pm   #10
Vintage_Man2012
Tetrode

Well, my drive belt has arrived from www.bearingsrus.co.uk and the coil winder is now almost set up.

I still need to find a better board to fix it all to so I can incorporate the countershaft but it is now running with the 1/4 motor I restored in another thread.
The half-nuts required a bit of fettling in order to get them to bed down into the lead screws after I had removed them to clean the carriage assembly but after a few minutes of loosening and tightening they sit just right.

Here is a video upload of the machine under initial testing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDwIlgWJAM8

Thanks to everyone who helped with advice!

Paul
Closed Thread