UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Jan 2019, 11:22 am   #21
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Valve Amplifier Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldStott View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
Given all of this, and the ability of most Members, there has been very little mention here of those apparently quite respectable Chinese amplifier kits that are held in stock in the UK (no prohibitive shipping) where for just over £200 one can buy an EL34 single-ended stereo amplifier and for a little more the PP version. All brand new of course.
Thanks Edward - any chance you could Post a link?
I didn't Bookmark it, but will try to find again. A google search of "EL34 Single Ended Valve Amplifier Kits" will do it.

I didn't think it was the the Forum's Policy to directly promote the sale of 3rd party products by Posting them?
Old 29th Jan 2019, 11:44 am   #22
paulsherwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
I didn't think it was the the Forum's Policy to directly promote the sale of 3rd party products by Posting them?
We try to apply common sense. As a general rule of thumb, it's OK to post links to products in response to a member's enquiry.
Old 29th Jan 2019, 11:58 am   #23
Herald1360
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian - G4JQT View Post
Does anyone have an opinion on where the Gerry Wells WADAR amplifier fits in the valve amplifier field?
Down at the far end in the second wooden shed from the left behind the old televisions

Or you could just say it's a perfectly straightforward no nonsense amplifier built from a fairly eclectic collection of bits.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 26th Feb 2019, 10:11 pm   #24
qualityten
Octode

A small South African company makes kits and winds their own transformers. I recently built their EL84 push pull design to try out some nice but affordable UL transformers available in SA and the UK from RS. The UK cost was £75-80 for a pair. With an old 5-10 power transformer, and metal from a broken oscilloscope, the rest of the cost was just for everyday components. Even with paying for a decent chassis (recommended) the cost would be nearer £200 than £300. I'm not proud of my rough build, but details of the OPTs and the kit supplies (Mars Tube Amps) is in this thread. https://www.avforums.co.za/index.php/topic,77800.0.html

I guess the cost of their complete kit would be £700, excl shipping.
Closed Thread