UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Jun 2016, 9:36 am   #1
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Default Evaporust

I had not heard of this product unit I saw this post number 13 by Jon (Ti Pwun). There is a video about this product here in which a number of, almost too good to be true, claims are made.

The results Jon got certainly look good. Have any more of you out there used Evaporust and what were your experiences? Are there any disadvantages to its use? Does anyone know how its works?

It is available from Amazon for £30 for a gallon which, considering the claim for it to be re-usable, doesn't seem too bad.

Last edited by ukcol; 9th Jun 2016 at 9:39 am. Reason: puntuation, gramma
Old 9th Jun 2016, 10:57 am   #2
Ti Pwun
Heptode

Default Re: Evaporust

When I first looked into using it (after watching one of BAndersenTV's videos on YouTube a couple of years ago), I watched a few other videos to see what others were sayijng. A lot of people went on about how it's reusable and you can 'just pour it back into the bottle when you're done'. Don't do that, though! Use a second container so that the new stuff stays fresh and doesn't become contaminated.

That chassis I did, by the way, looks like it needed a lot of the solution but I had only an inch in the bottom of a bowl. I then used a paint brush to 'paint it on', to keep the metal wet. No scrubbing or anything was required.

When the chassis was done, I washed it off in the sink and dried it thoroughly. I then dropped all the rusty screws, hinges, clasps, etc. into it (see before and after pics below).

I highly recommend it and if you are prepared to sit and use a paint brush to get it onto larger items, a large container will last quite a long time. Definitely worth the money IMO - I've seen it at £22.80 with free shipping on eBay, but certainly under £30.

I'm sure others will have their own thoughts, though.

Jon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hu3.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	125745   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screws.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	125746  
Old 9th Jun 2016, 11:14 am   #3
G4XWDJim
Octode

I'm very impressed Jon. Having seen of course just what you started with I can appreciate the quality of your results.

You mention about being prepared to sit and use a paint brush to get it onto larger items. That seems an easy way compared to the alternative which is spending hours with emery cloth.

The completed article will be a delight to see I'm sure.

Jim
Old 9th Jun 2016, 11:59 am   #4
threeseven
Octode

Just looked at a few vids on youtube and it looks impressive. As a classic bike restorer I've tried many products over the years but this seems better than all previous stuff.
Old 9th Jun 2016, 6:09 pm   #5
Ti Pwun
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by G4XWDJim View Post
...seems an easy way compared to the alternative which is spending hours with emery cloth.
Thanks Jim,

My days of working my fingers to the bone trying to get some rust off something the hard way are long gone. I'll start a thread soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeseven View Post
As a classic bike restorer I've tried many products over the years but this seems better than all previous stuff.
I'll never use anything else - no doubt ideal for bike restoration work.
Old 9th Jun 2016, 6:30 pm   #6
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

I wonder what's in it?

I'm suspecting something like ferric chloride and a detergent/non-ionic-surfactant to help it penetrate. In which case you could make the stuff for pennies rather than buying it made up and "pre-diluted" for £30.

My preferred de-rusting/paint-remover for metal chassis etc is a *strong*[1] Sodium Hydroxide (Caustic soda) solution - it worked really well to quickly remove the scabby paint and rust on the steel case of an Eddystone 840A I bought a while back.

[1]Obligatory H&S warnings: wear eye-protection. Keep away from children and animals. Avoid skin-contact. Don't use on zinc-, aluminium- magnesium- or Mazak/pot-metal parts as it will expeditiously and exothermically digest them!
Old 10th Jun 2016, 1:01 am   #7
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Exclamation Re: Evaporust

Just to add to what G6tanuki has said about the corrosive effects of caustic soda (a.k.a. sodium hydroxide).

The following Wikipedia article should be read by anyone who is not familiar with this chemical, prior to using it, in particular, the section towards the end entitled 'Safety'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_hydroxide

Al.
Old 10th Jun 2016, 3:04 am   #8
Ti Pwun
Heptode

Nothing nasty like that in Evaporust.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	evaporust1.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	125784   Click image for larger version

Name:	evaporust2.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	125785  
Old 10th Jun 2016, 3:36 am   #9
Radio Wrangler

"will not harm copper" seems to eliminate ferric chloride as the active ingredient.

David
Old 10th Jun 2016, 9:27 am   #10
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

A visit to their website gives some clues about what's in it and how it works. They claim they have very effective and specific chelating agents for iron. It's just what you'd expect really.

B
Old 10th Jun 2016, 9:49 am   #11
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Hi Bazz

Thanks for that. The Wiki definition of chelation gives a clue to how this stuff works although I find the detail difficult to follow.
Old 10th Jun 2016, 10:09 am   #12
Bobdger
Hexode

Looks very good. I have just ordered from amazon £30 for a gallon.
Old 10th Jun 2016, 11:41 am   #13
Ti Pwun
Heptode

I love that you live in Rustington - that made me smile! :

Restoration project for the cap tester is now here:

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...387#post855387
Old 10th Jun 2016, 3:24 pm   #14
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukcol View Post
Thanks for that. The Wiki definition of chelation gives a clue to how this stuff works although I find the detail difficult to follow.
Chelating agents are usually organic compounds which don’t have sufficient reactivity to react with metals, but they do like to “cling” powerfully on to metal ions, and in doing so, they produce chemical species that are very soluble. What this means is that when you apply a solution of chelating agents to a corroded surface, it is the existing corrosion products (which are ionic compounds of the original metal) that are dissolved, without significant further attack on the metal itself.

Probably the best known chelating is citric acid, which can be bought very cheaply in any branch of Wilkes (or squeeze a lemon!). Great for getting rust stains off clothes. However, there are many more complex molecules which are more effective as chelating agents. If you look on YouTube, there are lots of posts about using Molasses syrup to remove rust and other corrosion products. Presumably, this is because Molasses contain lots of natural chemicals which are good chelating agents.

B
Old 10th Jun 2016, 4:07 pm   #15
ukcol
Rest in Peace

That makes it clearer, thanks Bazz.
Closed Thread