UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Mar 2014, 6:36 pm   #1
Junk Box Nick
Octode

Default Amstrad 8256/9512 Printer Ribbons

I have found some printer Ribbons for an Amstrad 8256/9512 printer.

They are boxed and still in their sealed wrappers but will date from the late 1980s. Are they likely to be any good?

(The computer is long gone.)
Old 8th Mar 2014, 8:06 pm   #2
emeritus
Dekatron

Default Re: Amstrad 8256/9512 Printer Ribbons

If they are dried up, they can be made useable by re-inking with endorsing ink. Good enough for general printing. That is what I used to do for my own PCW8256, saving a carbon ribbon for anything important.
Old 9th Mar 2014, 9:19 am   #3
M0TGX Terry
Hexode

In the days when I used a PCW8256 the trick for rejuvenating a dry ribbon was to (carefully) open up the cassette and give it a light spray of good old WD40, reclose the ribbon cassette, wait overnight for the stuff to soak in evenly, then away you go. If I remember correctly, I only got through two ribbons in about 3 years.
Old 10th Mar 2014, 2:22 pm   #4
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

In the days when some of us still used clockwork teleprinters, it was not unknown for an old ribbon to be rejuvenated by being stood overnight in a tobacco-tin with a tablespoon of car brake-fluid.

Be careful if trying to do this on ribbons that are to be used with a printer having plastic parts - brake-fluid can dissolve them! Proceed at your own risk......
Old 9th Apr 2014, 4:29 am   #5
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

Ah, the days of re-inkable ribbons.

Better than Brake fluid, we used Baby Oil, only a little though. Or fine sewing machine oil eg. 3 in 1.

We had ribbons phisically worn away, they had been done so many times!

Boater Sam.
Old 9th Apr 2014, 2:55 pm   #6
julie_m
Dekatron

Don't try that with a 24-pin printer -- they were much fussier about ribbon condition than 9-pin ones. I managed to shear off a printhead pin, trying to get one page too many out of a worn ribbon. Talk about a false economy .....

I also remember being able to buy just the ribbons; you could split open an old cartridge, dump out the spent ribbon and wind in the new one. If you were careful, you could even do it without getting ink on your fingers!
Old 9th Apr 2014, 3:49 pm   #7
AC/HL
Dekatron

You'll need to sacrifice one and open it by the look of it.
Old 22nd May 2014, 9:54 pm   #8
dokbobby
Retired Dormant Member

I don't think it will be a sacrifice, just be careful opening the box. The ribbon can act like a Jack-in-the-box, and leap out at you. At the school where I worked, I used a ribbon re-inker machine which wound the ribbon past an ink saturated sponge. I would also use the last bit of toner from a few cartridges and manage to fill another. Saved a few Pounds.
Closed Thread